REPOP INNER PRIMARY

1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

REPOP INNER PRIMARY

Post by 1951 adam »

I bought the V twin early style inner primary, Anyone know the size hole I should make for the breather / chain oiler pipe? should I plug off the hole thats already there? Its hard to estimate the were exactly to center punch for the pipe, there is a depression where it should go, but it still seems like it might be a bit foward of that, any help would be appreciated, Adam, other then that it seems to line up correctly with rear tabs, ect.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: REPOP INNER PRIMARY

Post by 1950Panhead »

The breather pipe for a 51 has a bend in it and comes through the primary in the vertical enforcement.
Look at top photo http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/palmer/55-64primary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

51-ADAM----DO a dry-run with it first!!!--IT looks like all tabs are good but nockoffs are knockoffs!--Make sure all your boltholes line-up!---I had a few where the tab for the oiltank just wouldnt cut it by far!--It dont hurt to DBL.check!--If you are not dealing with OEM parts!---RICHIE 8) ---PANHEAD laid it rite out for you!--Good PICS> & EXPLANATION.
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Thanks for the input as always, I think I have a good idea of what i'm dealing with... Thanks again, Adam
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Adam, If you can return that thing, do so. It's a real piece of junk as you will soon find out. I got four new ones on my swap meet table and can't unload them (Another, I thought I got a deal when I bought the guy out). I'm no fan of Porko anymore than V-Twin but on this one Item they excell. Hang in there kid. The story gets better. Carl and Matt Olsen then take said Porko primary and add all the missing goodies to it. You can find it on there web site. Bob L
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Thank you Robert, Just when you think you got it licked! I guess I can't return it now, It seems like EVERYTHING I got from V twin just does not WORK....the only stuff that was OK were the tappets I got from them made by eastern, heres were I'm at now with this

back view

The pipe is from old dude...NOS? The hole is far foward from center depression
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

It seems like EVERYTHING I got from V twin just does not WORK.

Adam, do ya really think anyone else had any better luck?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

That reminds me, I've enough for 'free freight', and need to call Tedd's today.

I miss my old sales rep.
She had a nice voice.

....Cotten
Robert Luland

Post by Robert Luland »

Nice try Tom! Why would anybody go to a disturber that charges 15 to 20 percent more than everybody else to get free shipping since everybody else does the same thing? Stick it! I mean stick big time!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Robert Luland wrote:Nice try Tom! Why would anybody go to a disturber that charges 15 to 20 percent more than everybody else to get free shipping since everybody else does the same thing? Stick it! I mean stick big time!
Poor Bob seems a little cranky.

After doing business with Tedd since 1985,
I know how to do business with Tedd.

(And other suppliers as well, of course.)

.....Cotten
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

Cotten wrote:
Robert Luland wrote:Nice try Tom! Why would anybody go to a disturber that charges 15 to 20 percent more than everybody else to get free shipping since everybody else does the same thing? Stick it! I mean stick big time!
Poor Bob seems a little cranky.

After doing business with Tedd since 1985,
I know how to do business with Tedd.

(And other suppliers as well, of course.)

.....Cotten
That reminds me of a hysterical story my mechanic told me about dealing with them, but there's simply no way to repeat it here (picture southern redneck, pushy New York sales guy, who assumes said redneck, who's been building bikes for 3 years is an idiot)
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

PanJud wrote: That reminds me of a hysterical story my mechanic told me about dealing with them, but there's simply no way to repeat it here (picture southern redneck, pushy New York sales guy, who assumes said redneck, who's been building bikes for 3 years is an idiot)
How did I get to be the Devil's Advocate?

I have never, ever encountered a "pushy sales guy" (or gal) from Tedd's in all the many, many years I have dealt with them.
And that includes the pleasure of meeting my rep in person at a Cincinatti "Liar's Convention" trade-show.
(I stood next to Arlen Ness in the bar, but I couldn't think of anything we had in common.)

Tedd's business re-organizations have done himself more harm than any of his policies, but he does not tell me how to run my business.
Of course I have received bushels of crap from Tedd!
What I did not return, I was happy that I had something that I could somehow make do.

Many of my purchases over the years has been delightful NOS, and brand-name hardware seems to be forgotten by those who would rather form a lynch-mob.

Tedd's offers a convenience, and honestly little more.
If you just cannot take advantage of his service, then there are always those other distributors that offer identical one-size-fitz-none hardware, or those who make his better stuff in the first place.
By all means, cut out the middleman if you've got the time. And patience.

But to foment anger and hatred at one business, when quality is an industry-wide problem, only makes you look much worse than a "redneck".

....Cotten
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

I have bought product from Tedds since 1988, and I feel that sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont, My problem is that its more trouble to return stuff then to just take it on the chin. They do have some deceint stuff , But not knowing what is , thats the problem...Heat shields not at all what I expected, to me "REPLICA" should be just that. Will I continue to roll the dice? Yes, but more carefully,
Limey_Dave
Bikes: 31VL
43WLC
99FLHR
52 Ariel KH

Post by Limey_Dave »

Adam
As you're stuck with that part,I'd cut a U shaped patch,slide it in from the right,tack it,then remove the cover and seam weld it.
We'll know it's there,but we're not telling anyone. :mrgreen:
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Thanks Dave, It seems to work out well , I had to elongate the front mount holes a touch to swing the primary up an 1/8 to line up the oil tank mount and the rear primary mount. looks fine, I will be on the lookout for an OE inner...theres gonna be one around one day ...but this will work for now....I HATE AFTERMARKET PARTS, but I had no choice for now.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”