Gas tank install

1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Gas tank install

Post by 1951 adam »

is there a seqence for installing tanks...it seems when I did a mock up , that when I installed the front bolts first, there was a gap at the rear studs between the tank and the frame mount, when I pull it in it feels like I am stressing the tabs...It shows no spacers in parts book. normal? How far should the tanks fit off the frame in back? I tried looking at photos for reference, cant find that shot...any suggestions or photos whould be much appreciated, Adam
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: Gas tank install

Post by Hog54 »

Use spacers in rear.Even my 80 lowrider had fat washers on the rear mount to make up space.I have 2 washers on one side and 3 on the other on my pan..
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Thank you, I know the shovels had a spacer , but being that there is no reference in the part books, I just was'nt sure ...A spacer is the only thing that makes sense.... It looks like a good 1/4 inch away from rear mount, I just dont have a reference , I dont want it to sit out to far...but I dont want to stress the mounts, Thanks for your input, Adam
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Altho a man can learn something every day in this game, I have never seen spacers required on panhead fuel tanks at any location. Could you be pinching something like wire harness or a cable possibly?. The original front tabs are set to accomadate the frame. The rear studs are pretty short as it is just get a lockwasher and nut on them under the saddle T-bar. Possibly the tanks or the rear frame tank mounts were altered (welded) on wrong in some repair at one time????...Joe
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Thinking that...Damn
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

partshunt wrote:Altho a man can learn something every day in this game, I have never seen spacers required on panhead fuel tanks at any location. Could you be pinching something like wire harness or a cable possibly?. The original front tabs are set to accomadate the frame. The rear studs are pretty short as it is just get a lockwasher and nut on them under the saddle T-bar. Possibly the tanks or the rear frame tank mounts were altered (welded) on wrong in some repair at one time????...Joe
I think it i more likely the frame then the tanks, I had repops on there before, anyone have a dimension for the top mount? across.shaved down? ? the 3 holes all line up well, Adam
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Couple of options that are easy and safe: 1) Double check that you don't have something pinched between the tanks or tanks/frame; 2) *Carefully* bend the front tabs in slightly to give you a little more clearance; or 3) (my vote, and how I always mount tanks) Use two flat washers with a layer of hard rubber between them as spacers on both front mounts on both sides, and high quality lock nuts (I use the Colony parkerized lock nuts). Not only will they not show as much as spacers on the rear (upper is covered by the tank, lower is under the tank), it gives you a little bit of vibration dampening for the tanks which, to my mind, might make the tabs live a bit longer.

-Kuda
'49 panchop
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I'm agreeing with partshunt. If there were no repairs done to the tanks or frame and
nothing is in the way like a harness, the tanks should fit up square without shims.
If they don't sit flush the tanks will stress and eventually crack, leak.
Sometimes it's just a matter of aligning the mounting tabs.
Pull too hard on the rear studs that arent flush and you'll crack the weld.

Jim
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

My parts book shows a 6324W washer used 1963 up, it is 3/32 thick. I know you are talking a 1951.
These don't show and get you another 3/16 inch.
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

what I found were the rear mounts must be pushed in , because with the tank half loose at the front , the rear stud area does not contact the rear mount at all, there is a small gap of 1/6- 1/8 , they may have been re attached in the past at some point. the problem is I cant find what the spread should be at the seat post attach point , with the front mounts, mainly lower a little loose, It pulls in nice at rear mount, but still a small gap, thanks for the input guys, Adam
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I was gonna measure my rear tank mount spaceing , kinda difficult but just looking at the set up, does your seat tee fit properly? A stock correct seat tee would also indicate mount spaceing if it fits snug at the pinch bolt. The tank portion of those mounts kicks inward slightly and would not take the seat bar tee. However, if your seat bar fits correct then the mounts must be correctly welded on. Do the mounts narrow up a bit for the tanks?...Joe
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Joe Thank you for taking the time to look, thats awesome!, I noticed the tabs on the tanks were bent in a small bit, I was able to adjust them a little. seems better, I feel like someone along the life of this bike may have re welded the front top mount...now I noticed the dash plate needs to drop 1/4 inch so dash conformes to tanks, ??? not sure yet what the deal is, Thanks again Joe, Adam...I did post some pictues on the gallery, take a look if you dont mind
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Adam:- your very welcome. BTW, I dug out a set of caliprs and measred the inside distance that my tabs are positioned for the rear tank mount. The inside distance is all I can take with the tanks in place. I came up with 1.275" in the nut cavity, wall to wall inside dimention. Possibly one could assume 1-1/4" as a nominal measurement maybe? Also, according to my frame drawing, the outside of those tabs are flush with the diameter of the frame tube. Hope this helps...Joe

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”