new floorboard tabs & mounting brackets 50 FL

tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

new floorboard tabs & mounting brackets 50 FL

Post by tschukojr »

i,am i n the process of trying to attach new cast tabs to my 50 FL frame, , but i have a mix of old parts my friend gave me, first i got thye cast tabs from J & P, so i also have long and short straight square studs , that go to the foward control brackets, i asumme i should be using the long one's, and also on the rear to attatch to the cast tabs ( to be welded )---i have some that are all the same shape, but smaller, and others phisically larger and longer, but they seem to be of slightly different shape--- i assume the bigger one's go on fl models-- ( i assumme the smaller ones, and short straight studs go on maybe some other model) so do i use the long studs and the big elbows and witch elbow goes on what side----also i know the board should have an angle down to the rear, any sugestions on this-------thanks--- tony schuko
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: new floorboard tabs & mounting brackets 50 FL

Post by Bigincher »

If you can lay out all your studs and take a photo of them, post it here, we can tell you which ones go where.....
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

could'nt get the image to trying to re-size---hope it goes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Well, here-- this might be easier. Page from Palmers book, explains everything.....

tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

this pic might be a bit better--------tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Both front studs should be the same length, 3-1/8".
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

There are a lot of variations to the studs, the photo I posted from Palmers book doesn't show them all, I don't think.

In your photo, the two on the lower left appear to be right-rear studs. The extra hole is to attach the brake return spring. If one of those is shorter than the other, that would be the one to use for 1937-57.

The second 'L' stud from the right, the one with the longer straight section, that looks correct for the left rear.

And the straight stud at top left looks like a front stud--- it should measure 3-1/8" long.

That's my beSt shot, without holding them in my hands...!!
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

ok, i think what i got is , , everything i need , except-----the left rear, I think the 2 in my pic on the right , the 2 bent ones , dont belong, the stock they are made from is somewhat bigger, more beefy, and to long, i have a kit from j& p on the way, but planned to send it back, and i'd like to just use reall motoco parts besides the mix and match stuff is free, ive clamped the tabs to the frame , using the 3 inch straight studs up front, and, one of the bent one's with the brake spring hole on the right rear, and it fits pretty good , but none of em will fit well on the left rear, the long bent one in pic ( on the right) is just too long, i think , plus as i said its made of bigger stock , maybe from a swingarm year , setup or later years, ---again thanks ev eryone----------tony
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Set on eBay right now.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNUCKLEHEAD-PAN ... 43ad11b707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

bigincher, thanks for the link, that set the rear stud on the right looks a bit out of place , looks a bit bigger, , i,am gonna use the oversize left rear, on mine,.-, here's a pic of the right oversize stud side by side with what seems a typical stud--- its .505 x .625, as compared to about 1/2 inch square-- again thanks for the link, my buddy has a small box of this stuff----but not everything---thanks again --tony
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

I have a box of studs, and every time I build a motorcycle, I go through every one of them trying to find four that work together. I always end up using a spacer somewhere, and sometimes fabricate a new stud. No two motorcycles have the same combination.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Since you're welding the tab on the frame, I'd think you'd want to get the stud correct, so the tab is positioned correctly.... just saying.
Palmer does a good job of describing the studs and all the different variations. Do you have Palmers book?
I can scan and post those pages, if you like.
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

big incher-----------thanks , yes i have palmers book,, i,am getting to use a left rear stud from another guy i know, and will position , the tab accordingly, and when i find one i'll be all set-----------again thanks alot for everything-----------tony
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Make sure you can remove the primary cover with your new bracket, (not too high)...
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Be aware side to side (right and left) are not at the same angle. On your left side check your Jiffy stand too. There's not much room for error!

Return to “Frame & Fittings”