"Disassembling" a frame

il-rigido
Banned (permanently)
Bikes: 1979 Bobbed cycle, 2008 FLHR, 2005 XL883R

"Disassembling" a frame

Post by il-rigido »

Hi guys.
Need an help, if you can.
I own a '54 replica frame, it's a VG (Netherland made), and IMO its' a good replica.
The problem is that after some years of regular use I found (I did not realize before) that the left rear axle plate is slightly disaligned with the right one, it was welded about 4 - 5 mm backward. The problem has been corrected til now with the rear axle adjusters, but I want "the ultimate solution" for this problem.
So I need to remove the LH plate, cut some of the frame tubes and put it on again this time aligned with its sister.
Do you think it's possible to open frame tubes enough to pull out the plate without ruin the frame?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: "Disassembling" a frame

Post by 1950Panhead »

Was a frame rack used when the frame was built?
IE were the neck, motor mounts, trans mounts, rear axle clips in the correct position when the frame was welded?
If a rack was used whoever welded the frame may have done this on purpose.
Your "fix" will change the frame geometry, by bending the lower tube to mate with the axle clip moving foward.
il-rigido
Banned (permanently)
Bikes: 1979 Bobbed cycle, 2008 FLHR, 2005 XL883R

Post by il-rigido »

I'm sure who built the frame used a rack, all the mounts are in the correct position (except the LH plate).
I only have to open slightly the rear tubes to slide out the LH plate and to put it back after cutting some millimeters of tubes. I do not think this can damage the rest of frame, but I've never done before and I'm a little afraid...
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

If you cut stock from your frame to move axell plate, it could make the frame have stress and crack. Moving the plate forward will make the tubes draw together more. Id just continue to use the chain adjusters. You dont want a big problem as your flying down your road or Hiway. :shock:

Return to “Frame & Fittings”