Thoughts on this frame...

jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Thoughts on this frame...

Post by jdpan »

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2631097171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Thoughts on this frame...

Post by Robert Luland »

Minorly screwed with my ass ! The neck has been screwed with, upper motor mount, side car loops and rear stand castings have been removed. Further more it looks like it may have been stretched but I can't tell from the pics. If this guy wants any more than $600. for this frame then forget about it ! A grand don't cut it.
Bob L.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Weird looking neck, also appears to have had a Panhead or such in it, the top of the seat post is flattened. Top motor mount isn't stock either. Would take some dough to put right, but could be used on a chopper as is. What exactly are you asking?
Robbie
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Considering the prices of some of these stock frames nowa days, I was just wondering if this could possibly be the a good deal. I knew the neck was "unusual" but really didn't notice the seat post and the mounts... I bet upon closer inspection, that minor would turn into major... That top motor mount is just weird..
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

RUBONE wrote:Weird looking neck, also appears to have had a Panhead or such in it, the top of the seat post is flattened. Top motor mount isn't stock either. Would take some dough to put right, but could be used on a chopper as is. What exactly are you asking?
Robbie
Well if they had a pan in it,then the front motor mount isnt in the right place either.Or they used a spacer on the rear motor mount. :?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The obvious is just that-obvious. I would be very concerned about what is not obvious. At best what ya got here is a frame that may be good for parts. I'm bettin if ya put it on a frame table or do an in depth examination, it probably isn't square, true, or plumb where it needs to be. What's yer plan for it? A grand ain't a bad price even if it has been modified if it fits yer needs and is structurally sound which I'm bettin it isn't. Buyer beware....bosheff
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

No real plans, maybe just to have it if is was truly stock or nearly stock. Don't need any more custom parts though.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Definetly its been altered in a few areas, as everybody has pointed out! Also if you look at the first pic. the whole seatpost is bent,& looks like it was beat on with a 3lb lump-hammer to clear possibly fins on rear jug of whatever. That should be straight so all the inards work freely! Here in N.J. you could find these not up to par frames for $200 to $300 I wouldnt pay anymore then that. $1,000.00 is just way to much, he will probably take $700 I think thats what hes shooting for anyway I think. Just to much for all the work that it needs/besides whos to say its straight ? Just my 2 cents worth.Anyway Good-Luck-----58flh :?:

Return to “Frame & Fittings”