1948 wishbone frame repair

for-the-wheel
Inactive member
Bikes: 81 wide glide, 77 flh

1948 wishbone frame repair

Post by for-the-wheel »

Can anyone recommend a good frame repair shop in the midwest? I have a 48 panhead frame that was stretched in the back bone and had 2 inches added to upper part of down tubes with plates added for strength in neck area. I believe it is still stock rake. I want to bring it back to stock. Thanks!
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: 48 wishbone frame repair

Post by panz4ever »

Carls Cycle Supply in South Dakota (605) 225-5702
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Although not in the Midwest, Dick at Wasco Frame in Tacoma Washington has done hundreds of Harley frames. He restored my '52 frame, and I am amazed at his skill and expertice...!
And here's an interesting side note--- Does anyone remembers a few years ago when Competition Distributing was offering excellent repair and replacement parts and castings for Harley pan and knuck frames, but suddenly stopped offering them? Well, Dick has been able to aquire all their stock-- and he's also working with the man in Texas that produced those excellent castings. So now he has excellent high-quality replacement and repair parts with which to restore cut-up frames. Matter of fact, my 'second' '52 frame is in his shop now--- he's restoring it as a 'showpiece', an example of the restoration work he does. He also has recently opened an eBay store, so those parts are once again available to general public, as well.
You can call him and talk about it--- 253-927-0669. Tell him Tom sent you......
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

wasco also has a bunch of stuff up on ebay right now.

john
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

john HD wrote:wasco also has a bunch of stuff up on ebay right now.
john
That's the 'good stuff' that Competition Distributing used to carry.
hibuck1
Bikes: 55 pan

Post by hibuck1 »

I will put a couple of pics before and after 47 knuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hibuck1
Bikes: 55 pan

Post by hibuck1 »

after repair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Hello hibuck1,
Is that a little crack in the engine case coming off the case bolt, or am I seeing things??
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Bigincher wrote:Although not in the Midwest, Dick at Wasco Frame in Tacoma Washington has done hundreds of Harley frames. He restored my '52 frame, and I am amazed at his skill and expertice...!
And here's an interesting side note--- Does anyone remembers a few years ago when Competition Distributing was offering excellent repair and replacement parts and castings for Harley pan and knuck frames, but suddenly stopped offering them? Well, Dick has been able to aquire all their stock-- and he's also working with the man in Texas that produced those excellent castings. So now he has excellent high-quality replacement and repair parts with which to restore cut-up frames. Matter of fact, my 'second' '52 frame is in his shop now--- he's restoring it as a 'showpiece', an example of the restoration work he does. He also has recently opened an eBay store, so those parts are once again available to general public, as well.
You can call him and talk about it--- 253-927-0669. Tell him Tom sent you......
I just need to make this post to clarify and correct my previous statement regarding the source of Wasco's frame parts. (see above)
I talked to Dick again this morning, and he pointed out that he did not actually buy Competition Distributing's stock. Rather, he has contacted the same supplier that Competition used, and is getting the parts from him--- so, they are the same parts, just that Dick is getting them direct from the manufacturer. He also pointed out that these are the highest quality frame replacement parts available--- that's why he went through the trouble to find the source and cut a deal with them.
Just wanted to get the facts straight here,... thanks. And sorry if my mis-statement caused any grief for anyone.
Tom

Return to “Frame & Fittings”