Raked neck cups?

55FL
Bikes: '55 fl

Raked neck cups?

Post by 55FL »

Following last year's succesful lower back surgery I continue to ride my 55 pan. So far so good!
I recently traded my stock rigid to my son for his stock '58 swingarm frame. I'm running a stock springer from a late model Harley (FXST?) and stock shocks on the back.
Not a fan of the stance/height of my pan now.
Going to shorter shocks doesn't work with my big butt and raking the frame is out of the question
I am considering installing a raked neck cup and bearing kit from Vulcan Engineering. It's a +3degree rake.
Anybody ever try this? I'm really curious how the alignment of the cups is handled.

John
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Re: Raked neck cups?

Post by StueyC »

John, these cups are a well made and discrete method of adding or removing 3 degrees of rake. The cups are marked and it's a case of aligning the marks on the top and bottom cups when installing them.

If you go to the Vulcan web site they have installation instructions you can print and engineering drawings of the correct tooling needed to install so you can make your own if necessary.

I have a set on my bike and I'm very happy with them.

StueyC
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

I used a FXST springer on my UL project 5 years ago. I was disappointed in the negative neck stem angel and was looking for something like this because the front fenders bottom flare hits the frame at times. After over 14000 miles I decided to keep it just the way it is, hands off stable and I drag the pipes at times. I plan to rework the front fender some time.
There is a set of the +3 neck bearing cones on Ebay for 65. + 4. shipping . I don't know what retail is but I think that might be a good deal.

Bob
55FL
Bikes: '55 fl

Post by 55FL »

Stuey,
Did you have to replace the neck stem?
I see that the FXST kit comes with a neck stem while the others do not.
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,just my opinion, your playing with god with those cups ,seems to me its putting stress on on the neck ect. just my opinon....with respect....jr
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Didn't have to replace anything other than the cups themselves John. Simply knocked the old cups out and pressed the new ones in.

StueyC
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

hi,just my opinion, your playing with god with those cups ,seems to me its putting stress on on the neck ect. just my opinon....with respect....jr
That could be why the offset cups all come with a disclaimer about "not for use on the road, for show only"..at least the ones I've seen did.

Aloha...Mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Shouldn't be too bad on the neck with only three degrees extra rake, My old pan chopper had 45 degrees with the old springer ball bearings, they were quite worn when I finally overhauled the front end...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

H-D themselves as well as many major race tuners and virtually every other manufacturer regularly used triple clamps and cups with rake built in to change geometry on bikes for different tracks and conditions. There was NEVER any issue with frame integrity. But then, perhaps race tuners are gods!
Robbie

Return to “Frame & Fittings”