Frame Repair Parts

gitguy
Bikes: 1948 EL
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Frame Repair Parts

Post by gitguy »

Anybody know where to get rigid frame weld on tabs and other assorted parts? Looking for a 1948 frame and most have had tabs or mounting brackets cut. If I knew of a good source for these parts it would make my buying decision easier!

Thanks,

Git-guy
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Re: Frame Repair Parts

Post by drinner-okc »

Try Steve Little (in Australia) www.raceframe.com.au/

Parts are very accurate & he's very helpful. He even makes a Wishbone that's spot-on.

I'm waiting on pieces myself now.

drinner-okc
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

The Raceframe stuff is incredible quality for sure. But for some of the little stuff, try Carl's Cycle Supply in SD www.carlscyclesupply.com. As an example, they make a rear frame tab *repair* kit, basically just the lower holes (center stand mount holes) that everyone hacks off. The way he makes them it's much easier to repair the stocker than replace the whole axle mount. But if Carl's doesn't make it, I'd definitely go with Raceframe...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
gitguy
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Post by gitguy »

Thanks guys. I saw RFE had many of these parts but I was wondering if there was anybody closer to home - although even with the lousy exchange rate, his prices are fairly modest. I wish I could justify spending the cash on one of his '48 frames, but with shipping from Australia, import taxes and the weak dollar it is cost prohibitive. Spoke with a dealer the other day from the states who just sold a pristine 1948 frame for about $3K which is less than Race Frame Engineering and this was the real deal.

The search continues . . .
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

What parts are you looking for? I have a friend here in Iowa that has a frame company that has quite a supply of vintage frame parts. There is also another guy making replica frame parts in Michigan. He doesn't do the computer thing.

Scott
gitguy
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Post by gitguy »

At this point I am not looking for specific parts. I came across a '48 frame for sale recently that had a number of tabs, rear brake crossover tube assembly and the motor mount altered, among other things. Even then it was $2K. If I knew there were these frame parts available I might have been able to make a deal with this guy. This is more for future reference should I happen on another frame that needs similar work.

Cheers!

Git-guy
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Competition Distributing-- although specializing is pre-1930 Harleys-- is reproducing a few panhead frame replacement parts. Good quality stuff which I have used.

http://www.competitiondist.com/index01.htm
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

Sad News, a sign of the economy.
I spoke with John at Competition Distributing today (Tuesday). He has no stock left, and thinks they are on "Permanent Backorder". He does not know if the supplier will make any more or not.
When Big posted the link, I went and was excited to see the casting listed to repair the fork lock area. The frame on the 'Johnny Cash' Pan has not been raked, but that area was cut out.
"For looks" maybe? Later a piece of flat plate was installed (poorly), and the casting for the dash/speedo replaced (too low)

If anyone has that fork lock casting available, give me a message. I might have something to trade, or cash.

drinner-okc
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

check ebay. steve's stuff shows up with regularity from dealers here in the us.

john
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The last time I bought frame parts from Steve at Race Frame, I bought them direct and he shipped them to my door. Shipping isn't all that bad from Australia, and the exchange rate is still favorable to the US Dollar.
windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver »

don't know if this well help,but you might try here.http://www.hardtailchoppers.com/ WW
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

Hi list,

I know this post is old but I am looking for the top motor mount plates for a 55 frame. I got all the other stuff I need from Raceframe (really good stuff to be sure) but he is out of the motor mount plates. He should have them in 6-8 weeks and I will wait if I have to but just thought I would ask the list if anyone had a lead (none at Carls, or Kirk in Iowa City, V twin stuff doesn't fit right)

Thanks!

Joe

Return to “Frame & Fittings”