58-64 frame ?

Bikes: 57 flh 2008 ultra

58-64 frame ?

Post by 1450 »

hi all i'm looking at frame to buy ,panhead swing arm frame no swing arm, frame only . what is a good price? and what is a good way tell it a 58-64 HDframe? thx all

ralland
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: 58-64 frame ?

Post by panhead_kicker »

ralland,
The 58-64 frame can be distiguished by the "drop" down casting that connects the rear down tubes to the upper frame tubes running forward. Various castings on the frame carry casting numbers. I have seen these sell for 1800 down, depending mostly upon how much the frame has been altered from stock. 1k give or take may get you a nice one sans swingarm. Find yourself pictures of a known totally stock frame and familiarize yourself VERY WELL with every bracket, mount, protrubance, etc that a frame should have, and check these off when looking a a potential purchase.
See pic. below for a 1960. This frame appears stock to me (at this angle). The belly pan, or skid plate is also fastened on to this one, along with a set of neck cups. Little extras like these, if they are serviceable can of course add to the value.
1960.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: 58-64 frame ?

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Upper rear casting number = 47645-58:

Lower rear right = 47651-58. At the bottom of the photo you'll notice a short tube extension to accommodate a H-D jack:

Lower rear left = 47653-58 (I think). The cast extension at centre right of the photo accommodates the rear brake line:

On the frame top engine mount you may find a number and a capital letter. The number represents the year of manufacture and the letter represents the month. The 8 H example below represents 1958, August:

On the left side of the steering head you may find a capital letter followed by either three or four numbers but they are small and may be hard to spot. The photo below shows B5 but the frame belongs to another member so I won't show the remaining numbers. On this particular frame the B represents 1963 but we think the practice began in 1962. Recently I've been in contact with the H-D legal department regarding further info on these additional characters and I'm currently awaiting a second response. Eric

Return to “Frame & Fittings”