Fully enclosed chain guard

Andy
Inactive member

Post by Andy »

Hi, new today to this forum. Looks like a lot of good advice from everyone posting here, so I'll see if there's some help here for a parts question. I have a 49 Pan which is near stock and would like to find another fully enclosed chain guard like mine for a friend. I've looked in V-twin and some of the old Harley parts books from this year and have had no luck with any information. I think it may have been after-market or police issue, any help would be appreciated.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Fully enclosed chain guard

Post by Cotten »

Damned things.

I'm pretty certain that they were an aftermarket add-on of the early '50's, although yours appears to have an extra trapezoidal inspection plate at the rear. I think V-TWIN repops showed that as well.

Since most of the originals were chromed, rust has usually pitted them horribly, and straightening and repair normally makes them an expensive vanity. And installation requires the patience of a saint. And chain and brake maintenance becomes a surgical operation. And the screws never stay put.

My own cover lasted a few seasons until it popped off my masterlink when walking the bike backwards in a parking lot, at a very inopportune moment.

Since then, it hangs on my wall somewhere. (I don't sell used hardware.)

Return to “Frame & Fittings”