Wishbone frame question

TiR

Wishbone frame question

Post by TiR »

Hi,

I have a -51 Pan with wishbone frame. The lower front leg tubes of the frame are, how do I say, "pinched" at the back, so the shape of the tubes is like D.
Does anyone know the reason why and when that kind of frames has been done? I have seen only few other similar than mine.

Thx
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Wishbone frame question

Post by Cotten »

If you mean right where the front legs bow outward for the "wishbone" shape, they were flattened from mid-'49 on for horn mounts: two small rectangular blocks of steel drilled and tapped, and then welded to the frame.
TiR

Post by TiR »

Thanks Cotten, but I mean the lower bend, exactly where the front legs bow back inward (also for the wishbone shape).

TiR
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Maybe we are describing the same spot?
Since their is no provision for posting photos to this board, I can only refer you to Palmer's "How to Restore...."
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I have a stock wishbone frame here and it is not present on mine, Not sure of the year the frame is But Sometimes a hammer is taken to a frame to fit a shovel Motor in them or Knucke frames to fit a Pan which makes it resemble a straight leg. So not sure of your dilemma...another for Palmer.
49oldschool
Inactive member

Post by 49oldschool »

I have a 49' wishbone that's supposed to be a original highway patrol bike from california and the downtubes at the bottom ,right around where the front motor mount goes across the frame, the tubes get bigger and their kind of an odd shape. Their not exactly round but kind of egg shaped, hard to explain and probably harder to imagine. I've never seen another wishbone frame so I don't have anything to compare it to. ride safe------49oldschool
53rigidrider
Inactive member

Post by 53rigidrider »

My '53 has the horn blocks, but a friend of mine that straightens frames says it might be a poor repair job when someone had to fix some tube breaks and plug them for welding.
I'll check the frame section in my Palmer's.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”