Coil mount has a tap broken off

weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Coil mount has a tap broken off

Post by weezeo »

I found a big problem I been running a sporty tank for years and would run the coil off the top motor mount. Well now I'm running fatbobs and can't run the coil over there and the top block on the down post for the coil mount etc. has a tap broken off in it. I need to get it out, any ideas? Its broke even with the frame block and it must be in there good to break in that position. The frame is all done up (powder coated) and so can't take a torch to it. I could grab it with needle nose pliers but don't think it will budge its been in their since i bought the frame in 82 when I got flattened on my original one. I definitly can't run it on top motor mount and don't think 1 bolt will hold it right. so any help out there would be much appreciated........thanks Bill Weez
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Stock coil mount

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
smack it with a punch a few times, and it will shatter, then you can pick out the pieces. the tap in the hole is not very deep.
mbskeam
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A little dry ice on it for a few minutes will make it shatter easier.
If the surrounding area is wrapped quickly with a hot wet cloth, it may even loosen temporarily without breaking it.

(Handle dry ice with tongs or pliers, and not your fingers, even gloved!)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Both good suggestions. There are tap extractors also. Some times they work some times they don't. Usually depends on weather or not the tap as already cracked down the flutes. You can also take a 5/16 or 3/8 nut and weld the inside of it to the broken tap. While it is hot you should be able to turn it out with a wrench. Tig welding would be best as it wouldn't splatter on the powder coating.

Good luck Weez!

Return to “Frame & Fittings”