Repop 1954-57 frame From Give it full throttle thoughts

Refined Cha0s
Bikes: 1955 Pan

Repop 1954-57 frame From Give it full throttle thoughts

Post by Refined Cha0s »

Anyone here ever bought this frame?

If so what are your impressions?

http://giveitfullthrottle.bigcartel.com ... -neck-rake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any idea who makes it?

Thoughts about price and value?

Is it worth it?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Repop 1954-57 frame From Give it full throttle thoughts

Post by Robert Luland »

V-TWIN
Refined Cha0s

Post by Refined Cha0s »

Robert Luland wrote:V-TWIN
Thats a V-Twin frame?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Yup, it's V-Twin.
Refined Cha0s

Post by Refined Cha0s »

Is it a piece of crap or worth buying? Made in USA? If not the Vtwin frame then which one? I have about $1500-1900 to spend and wanna get a as close to original frame as possible. Thanks for the input guys.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

http://raceframe.com.au/straight.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Refined Cha0s

Post by Refined Cha0s »

Great looking frame but a little out of my budget. I could buy an actual 55' frame for that off Fleabay... sure does look nice though. Anyone with a Raceframe?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The Australian frames are no longer being made there. Steve has sold the company to a group of Japanese who will be marketing the frames, however it is my understanding that they are not yet being built.

the V-twin frame is Asian manufacture and like all V-Twin products can have sketchy quality control. Many have had good success with them but it is always recommended to check them for fit and straightness before a final build. There isn't anything else out there in the price range you are working within. The Race Frames were around $5000.
Refined Cha0s

Post by Refined Cha0s »

I got a set of Invader rims for sale on Ebay if I could sell those I'd have some more scratch to work with. Their is almost perfect condition and have damn near brand new tires on em if anyone's looking for a set. Chromes perfect.. The V-twin frame looks legit but I like to buy American when I can. Is the Paughco worth buying?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The Paughco frame is well made, but does not resemble an original at all.
Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Post by Faustmill »

I bought that frame about 6 months ago. I do not have it on the road yet. So far I have installed the neck bearings -- fit perfectly. The transmission also fit well. The motor went in with minimal shimming. I had to hone the brake crossover bushings a little to get the crossover rod to go through and turn freely. The seat post came with it and fits fine. I have also mocked up the rear fender and gas tank before taking them to the paint shop and this went well also. The rear axle was included which good. It also came with a parkerized transmission mount plate which is good. Bolt holes are tapped but need the paint chased out of them. The welds are pretty neat. All in all I am very pleased with this frame. I talked to the guy in Australia about a year ago and he was sick at the time so could not do any work. It sounds like he is out of the business from the earlier responses. I was afraid of the original frames because who knows what kind of shape they are in, regardless of what someone says on ebay, plus good ones are really expensive. The final test will be when I get it on the road in a couple of months. So far I am happy.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I helped a friend put together a 56 using the V-Twin straight leg frame. Other than minor items like the brake tube bushings, the frame was ok.
VPH-D
Refined Cha0s

Post by Refined Cha0s »

Faustmill wrote:I bought that frame about 6 months ago. I do not have it on the road yet. So far I have installed the neck bearings -- fit perfectly. The transmission also fit well. The motor went in with minimal shimming. I had to hone the brake crossover bushings a little to get the crossover rod to go through and turn freely. The seat post came with it and fits fine. I have also mocked up the rear fender and gas tank before taking them to the paint shop and this went well also. The rear axle was included which good. It also came with a parkerized transmission mount plate which is good. Bolt holes are tapped but need the paint chased out of them. The welds are pretty neat. All in all I am very pleased with this frame. I talked to the guy in Australia about a year ago and he was sick at the time so could not do any work. It sounds like he is out of the business from the earlier responses. I was afraid of the original frames because who knows what kind of shape they are in, regardless of what someone says on ebay, plus good ones are really expensive. The final test will be when I get it on the road in a couple of months. So far I am happy.
What frame did you use you didn't say?
Faustmill
Bikes: 65FLH 54FL

Post by Faustmill »

The 54-57 V Twin straight leg repop.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

V-TWIN-Frames just like the parts they make are a crap-shoot!--I have got real good parts that actually worked without any help or modification.Then I have got parts that just couldn't be worked with!.I have seen the same in their Rigid Frames!---Some good some not.--I have used the Paughco Frames a few times & they are a NICE FRAME TO WORK WITH!.But as RUBONE pointed out there nothing like stock look-alikes.I guess it depends what your budget allows & what you want the final product to be.If chopper or bobber -I would go with paughco/as you can order what you want-from stock to chop!.Santee is another good frame to chop & bob with.But if your looking for a factory REPOP frame ,--Then its the V-Twin crap shoot or wait for a rigid for/sale on E-bay.-Or any other source!--The good thing is you can get a OEM frame that has been molested /but not to a point that it cant be put back!/There are some good fabricaters out there that just make PARTS for frames/Ie--Axle plates ,tank mounts,cable clips-etc!.If you don't care about a correct everything /Me personaly I like the Paughco frames!,Not just for there good quality control--But you can order any stretch or Idea you may want.--Just my personal exp. with these manufacturers./But nothing beats a OEM frame if looking for OEM quality & most of all LOOKS!----Respectfully---RICHIE

Return to “Frame & Fittings”