replacing sidecar loops

pan56head
Bikes: *

replacing sidecar loops

Post by pan56head »

Hi all, Has anyone out there replaced sidecar loops on a wishbone frame?
I don't have a frame table but could make up a jig to make sure I keep things straight. I am not bad with my tig but would like to hear from others before I jump into things. Any replys would be appreciated. Thanks-Tim
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My loops were also sawn off, I was thinking maybe just weld on the missing part of the loop, rather than cutting the down tubes. Or not.... Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mine were sawed off too.

it will be interesting to see where this thread goes...

john
jlaley
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL

Post by jlaley »

Here's a link to a post I started on HTT when I did mine. I have more pics at home if anyone wants to see them. Jim

http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk/pa ... 6539706053
pan56head

Post by pan56head »

please send all the pics you can with an description of how you did it., Thanks-Tim
tteegarden@wi.rr.com
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I replaced my side car eyes on the 54. They werent pinned like I'v been told. I just sawed em out at the welds. the originals are hollow so all there was left was to clean off any further weld left and remove the butt end tubes out of the frame tubes. I think one of em just fell out after knocking out the main centre piece I cut out. I kept the heigth of the back bone to the motor mounts recorded, then with a bottle jack I raised the back bone up enough to slip the new eys in. Cant remember if I used heat behind the motor mount while moving it up. I pulled the backbone back down using a ready rod to the exact dimention as original. rechecked neck anle and tweeked that a bit back to specks....I also made up a line-up bar passed thru the eyes like a vibration bar to keep them paralel and proper spacing. I would need to look up the CD with the pics for more detail. I had to do a lot of work on that frame to get it original..........partshunt
jlaley
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL

Post by jlaley »

I'll try and do that tonight after work.
pan56head

Post by pan56head »

excellent replys.look forward to seeing the pics also.
Is it true then that the original forgings slide inside the frame tube? I have seen replacements offered that slide over the frame tube and inside them.
I want to keep things close to stock as I can.
pan56head

Post by pan56head »

that was me above.I forgot to sign in first. Tim
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

For the panhead frames. The original side car eyes are hollow and the down tubes slid into them. So when you cut at the welds and slide in replacements that have the male stubs on them, it makes it easy to raise the down tubes and slide the repo eyes into the tubes. when all done and welded, it looks original again. I think the frame down tubes only have to move up about 3/4 to 1 inch and back down again....position with a cross bar and measure up to spec and weld. A frame chart is important to have for the job.
pan56head

Post by pan56head »

please provide the pics if you can. This is sounding very do-able.
Still not sure why there are two types available. inside vs outside the tube mount.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

It should be noted that '49 BTs were the first completely electrically-welded HD frames.

Earlier oven-speltered frames would be pinned, and a lot more difficult to work with: You cannot weld around spelter.

All frame forgings with sidecar mounts allowed the tubing members to enter them. This is very important for strength.
....Cotten
pan56head

Post by pan56head »

cotten.I am working on a 52 pan frame this time.
jpcycles has the type you mentioned but I am worried about quality. Do you recommend anyone else? Thanks-Tim
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

If you want to go original, you need the hollow or open type to accept the frame tubes, if you can save that last inch or so out of the old eyes. I got mine from "wantedoldmc" on Ebay for 175 a pair. Solid plug style. Some dont have the casting numbers on them, some do. The type I used are made with the male plug to go up into the tubes. I dont think there is a strength problem that way. You could drill the tubes and stich weld up the tube to nit the butt ends, I didnt bother. If you want original looking you should also check that the ones your getting have the casting numbers on them..some versions dont.....
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Here...

Post by HD48FL »

pan56head wrote:cotten.I am working on a 52 pan frame this time.
jpcycles has the type you mentioned but I am worried about quality. Do you recommend anyone else? Thanks-Tim
There is a guy named Steve in Australia that is making the parts you need. Exact reproductions of the original. Here's his site:

http://www.raceframe.com.au/wishbone.html

Return to “Frame & Fittings”