Chain Clearance w/Rear Crashbar Mount on '65

azpaul50
Bikes: *

Chain Clearance w/Rear Crashbar Mount on '65

Post by azpaul50 »

I finally got the left rear crash bar on and find that the lower mount and bar itself is really close to the chain, like no more than 1/8' of an inch clearance. The bar only goes in one way that clears everything else and supposedly came of this same bike. This is the type where the top mount screws into the top shock stud, another trying experience since the shock bushings "walk" out as you tighten the stud to bring the bar closer to the frame. Chuck even sent me the original kit instructions which are fairly obvious as to how they go. Apparently, the studs went from 3/8" to 1/2" starting with '65. I have the '65 configuration. I just can't see how it could be installed with more clearance. Am I paranoid or is something wrong?
Chain 001.jpg
Chain 002.jpg
Chain 003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Re: Chain Clearance w/Rear Crashbar Mount on '65

Post by UPSROD »

Have you got the top spacer on?
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

No spacers. Where would they go? Everything I read about a spacer said that it was only for single exhaust or to be used if the bike had no rear crash bars depending on year. The fact that there seems to be 3 versions doesn't help. I did notice that aftermarket replacement top stud kits include a spacer but that doesn't mean it is used for all applications. So, I need 'em? GROAN!! - AZP
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Now that I brought it up, I can't find them in my parts book. My book doesn't shoe the bigger upper shock studs either though! I have heard guys complain about the left bar hitting the muffler but not the chain.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

A spacer between the frame and top mount inner cup washer would tip the bar out a little at the bottom but I don't think it would be that much of a difference. I had to buy a longer lower bolt for the left side after finding that adding the width of the flat mounting ear didn't leave me enough thread to get the nut back on. The ear was a little twisted from flat but I got most of that out by tightening it. The right lower bolt was the same length as the new one I got for the other side. Don't forget that this was all messed with before so there's no guarantee that what I started with is right. The spacer, upper stud, OEM 5960W has the note saying (not used with safety guards) but also says it starts with 1967. I can't find a spacer listed before then either but is that 5980W listing saying (in a backward way) that it was used before 1967 WITH guards? Since my confusion over the buddy seat bar, I've been interpreting parts lists differently than before. - Paul
USDP65
Bikes: 41WLD, 47WL,47FL, 58FL, 65FLH, 65FL

Post by USDP65 »

Mine is very close too,haven't had any issues.
Dingy 225.jpg
Dingy 226.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I know the frame was changed for the Electra Glide but was the lower mounting bracket any different? My 64 has a good 1/2" clearance for the chain...Mike
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

Im jus going to make a wild guess,but is that a weep hole I see in the crash bar ? is it possible you have them reversed ?
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

I asked myself, What would the guys do? Get them on! So, I don my Beck hat (w/stampede strap and speed ball), black t-shirt and stroll over to the widow's house down the street. When snowbirds croak, many of the widows stay here. Her husband had a nice vice! So I try to bend the lower tab to no avail. That's what smoking does to you after 50 years. So she bums a smoke and together, it bends! So, I'm leaving and she pinches my butt! I do look good in my hat (with genuine strap) so that's to be expected. BUT, her wink was definitely evil! In any case, I've got about 1/2" clearance which should work. At this time I'd like to recognize the extraordinary upper body strength of American females of Norwegian heritage. Hail Norway and North Dakota! Meanwhile, I'm leaving the house by the back entrance for a while and putting my hat in the closet until at least winter! This bike resto stuff can be dangerous! - AZP
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Oh, I think the weep hole is at the bottom because the top of each bar has a staked, threaded insert. It the hole was on top (like on my '63), it would go through the threads unless it was way out on the bar. That's what it looks like to me. - AZP

Return to “Frame & Fittings”