1963 Duo Glide Rear Right Crash bar and muffler clearance

63 Duo
Bikes: 1963 Duo Glide

1963 Duo Glide Rear Right Crash bar and muffler clearance

Post by 63 Duo »

Finishing my 1963 Duo Glide, having installed the rear crash bar externally of the frame and exhaust hanger arm , exhaust looks bent outwards in order to clear exhaust arm bolts and crash bar .
The rear crash bar in the photos is mocked up with lower tab placed internally of the frame. This position makes more room for the muffler but crash bar is almost touching the (extended) swingarm.
Anybody could enlighten me as to how is the lower tabs of the Right (and left) rear crash bars installed in relation to the frame? Please note that if i install them outside of the frame , there is a lot of tension in the bars in order to bolt them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: 1963 Duo Glide Rear Right Crash bar and muffler clearanc

Post by panhead_kicker »

The crash bars do mount on inside of frame. Yes it will be close to the swingarm. Mine is probably 1/4 inch away. Your muffler is hanging low too. Once you raise it up to attach the first clamp at the y pipe, it will be high enough to clear the bolts attaching the support to frame. My muffler is also about 1/4 inch from bottom of shock mount. The swing arm should not go down any further to make contact, it would only go up with shock compression. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The swing arm should not go down any further to make contact, it would only go up with shock compression.
Actually it will extend further on a pothole or a washboard road where the rear end bounces and becomes almost airborn. In that situation all that stops it is the length of th shocks as there is no longer preload on it!
Robbie
63 Duo

Post by 63 Duo »

Well I have installed the crash bars for years now but now that is the time of the exhaust It looks logical that they go inside the frame and i never saw a picture clear enough to confirm this. The shocks i have now are from a later version (electra) but the original duo glide shocks that will be installed may be a little different in length. Anyway i think i ve got my answer thank you very much.
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day 63 Duo,

One other snag you might come across. Is the bolt head or the end of the bolt, will hit your centre stand
when you try to get your bike off the stand. If there is, some much as a washer under the bolt head it will hit the stand.
I machined down the head of the bolt so I could fit a washer under it.
I feel this is the correct direction course if you push the bolt in from the outside you will have diddle, to attach a nut too
coming out the other side of the crashbar while trying to maintain a clearance from the folding centre stand, if using a centre stand
like I see in the photo.

Pete
63 Duo

Post by 63 Duo »

Just an update in case someone else faces this problem. I have currently on my 1963 Duo Glide frame a pair of Electra Glide shocks which measure 360mm (almost 14 inches) while my panhead shocks are being worked on which measure 450 mm (13 19/32 inches) . That is the reason there is almost no clearance between the swingarm and the right rear crash bar. When i intall the correct shock , the swingarm will move upwards and give me clearance.
63 Duo

Post by 63 Duo »

Hi Pete , just saw your post and yes there is a problem with the center stand and i am planning to take care of it like you suggest. This bike is many years on the making . (It is an old Police handshift Duo) and will be alive i believe in a few days or weeks.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”