Compensating sprocket

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Compensating sprocket

Post by Eric »

Can a loose compensating sprocket effect kit starting your bike?
Eric
reddog74usa
Bikes: 77FXE Super Glide

Re: Compensating sprocket

Post by reddog74usa »

Yes it can if it's very loose it won't turn the engine over at all. Can you give us more details as in how loose?
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

Thanks reddog.
The problem I am having is when I kick it over it fires on both cylinders once and that is it. I read in the forum about a guy having slippage problems and thought that might be my part of my problem. Been thinking of this for days and haven't been able to get in the garage. I do know the sprocket is loose but wanted to get some expert advice. We're going to Nebraska next week and my wife says if the panhead don't start we'll have to take the Honda.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Your problem is not the compensator so quit wasting time trying to figure that out. If it was slipping you could not turn the engine at all. The engine does not continue to be turned after it fires, it will keep running itself if it is in tune, has fuel and spark. Your issue is somewhere else. Check your fuel delivery, your ignition, etc. Most likely fuel!
Robbie
Eric

Post by Eric »

Rubone,
Thanks for the info. I have S&S carburator and that is what I've been suspecting.
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

I disagree with Rubone a bit. I had a compensator that would act just like a clutch slippage when giving throttle. If you are getting any fire at all, then I would agree with Rubone that you need to look elsewhere.

My compensator sprocket would slip if I gave the bike generous throttle while riding. I determined through conversations with some old panhead guys that the compensator spring needs to be shimmed or preloaded so that the spring has enough tension to prevent the slippage. Some here on the board would argue that point. I decided that I didn't need the compensator and took it off. After wearing out a couple chains way quicker that I wanted, I decided to replace the primary with belt drive. I found the shims, after the fact, that were in it for preloading the compensator. They equal out to just under 1/8" thickness. I'll never go back to using the compensator unless I get the "purist" bug.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Make sure you have play in your clutch rod. also the center bolt in your clutch may be in too far. Another thing i've seen is that your motor is not rolling all the way through top dead center when you kick and rolls backwards when you release the kicker from the compression. If you are having a problem you can pop you circuit breaker cap off and see if the shaft turns forward every time you kick it. Try a half kick between kicks.

Return to “Sprockets”