Replacing sprocket on a 61 FLH

reddog74usa
Bikes: 77FXE Super Glide

Replacing sprocket on a 61 FLH

Post by reddog74usa »

I removed the sprocket off the brake drum and was wondering if anyone had some good info on the best way to set the rivets. The rivet holes in the drum are in perfect condition and not egg shaped. In fact it looks like this is the first time the sprocket has been changed on this drum. I have a press and also an air hammer but was thinking about just doing it the old way with a punch and hammer. This drum is real nice and I don't want to mess it up any ideas?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Replacing sprocket on a 61 FLH

Post by Cotten »

Reddog74USA!

A NON-hydraulic press is definitely preferred, as airhammers and hand-peening can crack the flange easily.

For any method, you will need a fixture that holds the drum firmly upon an anvil.
SPKTRIVT.jpg
...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

So Tom, what is that thing hanging above the rivet? I use my hydralic press with no problems. I have some one hold the torch until the rivets cherry and squeeze away. I agree that the cast drums are so easy to crack. Taking your time is critical. This is were the press comes in handy. You can always squeeze a little more if you didn't get it the first shot around. Bob L
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Bob!

That is the screwpress "ram" hanging above the rivet.

Held by a late-model fork boot is a common motor valve that has its stem cut to a dish to form the end of the rivet.

Hydraulic presses have their place, but not when touch is involved.
Jlpress.jpg
I never use heat on a part associated with brakes.
Its an "insurance" thing, which is a serious concern if you are in the industry.
The rivets were never heated at the factory.

Liberty only offers this service to established accounts.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reddog74usa

Post by reddog74usa »

Great info. Cotten, I like that set up. Very nice. I have a light duty press so I will use that without heating the rivets. I'll just take my time as suggested.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Tom, rivets are mild steel and nothing more. Heating them up make it easier the squeeze them down and when they cool they shrink which only makes for a tighter hold. What liability? This is a sprocket not a brake assy. The warranty ends when ya hit the door.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Robert Luland wrote:Tom, rivets are mild steel and nothing more. Heating them up make it easier the squeeze them down and when they cool they shrink which only makes for a tighter hold. What liability? This is a sprocket not a brake assy. The warranty ends when ya hit the door.
Bob!

I think I had better opt out on the shrinkage thing.

What's the sprocket riveted to?
Lawyers and insurance folks look at things to their own best advantage.
They even speak a different english.

My shop is too legit to quit.
Every operation is treated like Harleys really do fly.

...Cotten
reddog74usa

Post by reddog74usa »

Well I got er done last nite. Used a dydrolic press to set the rivets then finished em off with an air hammer. Turned out great with no cracks in the drum.

Return to “Sprockets”