compensating sprocket

rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

compensating sprocket

Post by rootwad »

Hey guys,
I got another question: I had to tear my motor out of the frame to replace a case bolt that happened to fall out (threads were gone on the case), put it back in, and I am wondering about the compensting sprocket. Which way does the spring wind when facing the motor? I cannot find a pic in either of my books, one Clymer's and the other an original HD manual. Should it be like a left-hand thread? So as the motor turns it pushes in? A photo would be nice.
Thanks
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: compensating sprocket

Post by awander »

The spring will "wind" in the same direction, no matter which way you put it on.

Check it out, you will see what i mean.
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Post by Panhead Joey »

Hey Guys,

I'm ready to install my compensating sprocket nut on my 1959 FL and was not sure If I was to apply any grease to the main shaft, inside the compensating sprocket nut and the woodruff key that fits into the main shaft keyway? Clymer manual does not mention applying grease when fitting the compensating sprocket nut back on. It would make sense to me that grease should be applied for easy installation and also when disassembly or removal for the sprocket nut am I correct?

Thank you,

Joey
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A '59 doesn't have any woodruff keys on the drive end of the shaft.... What exactly do you have? How about a picture of it? And anything that has a key and a taper connection must be assembled absolutely dry and clean, no grease ever.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Rubone,

Sorry, I was incorrect on the woodruff key which this applies to the clutch hub and not the compensating sprocket nut. The diagram attach is a complete duplicate of my compensating sprocket nut that I have right now. So, just to confirm there is no grease applied to either the compensating sprocket or clutch hub when installing?

Joey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Clean and dry on the clutch hub to shaft, the key is primarily an indexing tool, the hub fit to shaft when tight is what keeps the parts together. A light film of grease on the splines to hub for compensator, and a heavier coat of grease on the cams and sleeve within the compensator.
Panhead Joey

Re: compensating sprocket Nut

Post by Panhead Joey »

Thanks Rubone for the clarifications and specifications in regards to both the clutch hub and compensating sprocket nut.

Cheers,

Joey

Return to “Sprockets”