Engine and clutch drum sprocket alignment.

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Engine and clutch drum sprocket alignment.

Post by panwars »

Hi again,

The other problem I have found, and maybe this isn't one is...I have checked to the best of my abilities and tooling the primary sprockets and they appear parallel but are out of alignment by about a sixteenth of an inch, maybe a smidge more. Either the engine, which I have floated, has to move more left, or the trans more right. If it matters.

I can see on my old engine sprocket more wear on the inside edge then the outside. Maybe this much mis-alignment is acceptable? There are those on here who know this so please fill me in.

To compound my problems, my wheel sprocket is already too far to the left by an eighth of an inch, so I don't want to move the trans any more to the right. I suspect this old 49 frame is not so straight, I have fought this rear alighnment before and cold straightened it some already. I am toying with the idea of moving the wheel a sixteenth or so to the right. I think with some spacer machining and a little shimming on the drum side I could sneak it over a little and still have good brake shoe contact. Anybody tried that?

So...the bottom line is, how far off can these two chains run, do they have to be spot on, and were they ever?

Never a dull moment in Pan Land, but the good weather is coming and I need to ride!

Thanks in advance for all words of wisdom,

Scott
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Engine and clutch drum sprocket alignment.

Post by mbskeam »

does your engine sprocket have shims?
or can you cut down the spacer that goes into the seal...are these different sizes?
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

They sell different thickness sprocket spacers. I believe Jim's has a 5 pack. I couldn't find one to fit my Cal Custon case that takes a 70 up seal. So I got one that was too thick and had a local shop cut it down to the right size.
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

I wondered about the spacer, but the splines only go part way into the sprocket as it is. I don't know if it would be wise to make it less.

Scott

Return to “Sprockets”