Compensator sprocket pre load

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Compensator sprocket pre load

Post by Eric »

How do I go about preloading the compensator sprocket?
Thanks
Eric
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Compensator sprocket pre load

Post by awander »

What do you mean?
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Eric wrote:How do I go about preloading the compensator sprocket?
Thanks
Eric
You have to shim either side of the spring for a pre-load. I've been told by some on this board that pre-load is not necessary, however, I experienced that the compensator would slip terribly without the pre-load. I suppose that if everything was stock for the same year, pre-load might not apply, but my compensator would not work without it.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Do a search with 'compensator sprocket' and you'll get a lot of info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5031&start=0&hilit= ... r+sprocket
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Biker_k:

Your compensating sprocket assembly really could move out far enough to actually slip?

I'm pretty sure mine would engage positively even without the spring.....
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

awander wrote:Biker_k:

Your compensating sprocket assembly really could move out far enough to actually slip?

I'm pretty sure mine would engage positively even without the spring.....
I only know what was the case with my assembly. I disassembled the bike and put all the parts together as soon as I took them off the crank just exactly the way they came off. There is only one way that they will go together. At least in my opinion there is only one way they will go together. When I reassembled the bike, I remember taking off 4 or 5 thin shims from behind the assembly. They were in pretty worn shape, so I tossed them and when I reassembled the bike forgot about them. The compensator never stopped slipping without the shims. Now, maybe that means the spring was worn and wasn't holding the assembly tight enough. I don't know. I've heard the "experts" explain it to me both ways. On one side there should be no pre-load of the compensator spring. On the other side, you have to pre-load the spring or it will slip. As I said....I only know what happened on my bike. I decided to change the whole system out with a belt drive and I am MUCH happier with the results.

So, yes....I took the outer primary off and took her around the block a couple times because I thought it was the clutch slipping. But, you could see as soon as I gave some throttle, the spring would kick out the assembly would cam over and slip. Go figure.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

What year bike and compensator?
Robbie
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

I took your advice Panheadand did a search, it was very helpful.
I'm building a custom bike and using old technology. I was under the impression it had to be preloaded before going on the bike. From the search I found the thickness of the spacer and am in the process of making one. Thanks to all for the information and feed back.
Eric

Return to “Sprockets”