1959 compensating sprocket nut

PanMan

1959 compensating sprocket nut

Post by PanMan »

I am having some trouble finding a wrench/tool that I could use to remove the compensating sprocket nut on my 1959 Pan. This is the flat face nut with the 4 holes and the spring at the back. Before I start building such a tool, has anyone found an easier way or already made tool that would fit in there that I could use?

Thanks
Panman
headhog
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: 1959 compensating sprocket nut

Post by headhog »

here is what I made 20 years ago and it still works. measure across the face of the flat surface to get the centers of the 2 holes(not all 4) after you have that measurement, measure the diameter of the holes( with a caliper). take the on center measurements and a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel and drill the 2 holes to the diameter of the holes in the comp sprocket. After that is done. plug weld 2 pieces of solid round med carbon steel to the plate. Then take a scrap 1/2 in drive socket and weld the plate to the end of the socket . Now you have an impact wrench socket tool for the comp. sprocket HEADHOG

Post by DuoDave
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I followed the same course as Headhog, except that I used a couple of bolts instead of steel rod. I cut the threaded portion off so I just had the plain shanks protruding through the plate. I welded the bolt heads to the back of the plate along with a one inch nut so I could get a wrench or socket on. It does not take long to make and sure beats using a punch to hammer the crap out of the compensating sprocket nut!
Plain

Post by Plain »

I made mine exactly like DuoDave. Doesn't take more than a half hour to make one and it works like a charm. I cannot tell you how many compensating sprockets that I have seen that have been ruined with a punch and hammer. Keep them in the drawer. Home made tools rule!

Plain
PanMan

Post by PanMan »

Thanks guys for your interesting input.

My initial idea to make this tool was to find a steel tube of about 3" in length and to the exact diameter to the 4 holes, cut the end so that I end up with 4 tooth that would match and fit the nut's holes. The other end of the tube, I would drill a hole across so that I get a T handle.

Still, I think I will adopt your ideas, as it has been tried and tested.

Thanks again
panman

Return to “Sprockets”