Compensating sprocket versus engine sprocket

Plain

Compensating sprocket versus engine sprocket

Post by Plain »

How about a knowledgeable opinion or discussion on compensating sprocket versus engine sprocket. New compensating sprockets for Pans are getting harder to find and very expensive. Most of my riding has been on Pans with compensating sprockets. What say those of you who have ridden both. What benefits derive from the compensating sprocket, or lack thereof?

Plain
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Compensating sprocket

Post by Jack_Hester »

Plain -

I would run a compensator on every engine type, if it were available. I even brought the question up on the FHP site, about compensator sprockets for WL's. If a bike is running a compensator, and is under load, the spring will always be under tension. This has got to increase the life of the drivetrain (chains, gears, bearings, sprockets). Though I've never made the comparison, I'm told that you can see the difference in the mirror vibration. Belt primaries will approximate the buffering. Dual belts (primary and final) has got to be the best setup for vibration-proofing on the drivetrain. As I have compensators on all my Big Twins (not counting the Chief), I choose to run primary chains.

I figure that if you don't run a compensator sprocket on the engine, you will need to watch the primary chain for stretching, and kinking, like you would the final drive chain. My experience with primary chain life is that they are fairly maintenance free with plenty of lube, running on a compensator.

Jack
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Jack

That brings up the question has a compensating sprocket been produced for the early Pan tapered shaft?

King
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

King -

Yes, the compensator sprockets were made as a retrofit for the earlier Pan tapered shafts. Ed Rich, at the Harley museum in Asheville, NC, has a couple of them. He wouldn't part with one, as I tried to get him to put a price on one. I don't think any aftermarket ones were ever made. Someone else may know if they were.

Jack
Plain

Post by Plain »

Jack:

I agree with everything that you said. I even agree that dual belts is the best setup for vibration proofing the drivetrain. That being said, being an obstinate old crust, I just cannot brings myself to install a belt on any of my bikes.

The clutch basket on my 59FLH is finally beyond redemption, in a number of areas. Got a new clutch basket, which means new sprocket. With a bazillion miles on the primary chain and the front drive sprocket it did not seem prudent not to replace both of these. Therein lies the rub. '70 and up compensating sprockets and parts easy to find. Below '70 almost non existant. It would also seem that after years and years of the compensating sprocket compensting that just replacing the drive sprocket portion of the compensating sprocket would probably not be in my best interests. Both sections of the compensating sprocket containing the mating u shaped portions would seem to need to be replaced to keep the worn part - new part wear to a minimum. Looking in parts catalogs you would begin to think that the compensating sprocket was only invented in 1970.

Plain
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Compensating sprockets are in the catalog of J.W. Boon: http://www.jwboon.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.nosparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plain

Post by Plain »

Curse the luck. It does not appear in the nosparts .pdf catalog that I spent forever downloading over this cursed dial up modem. Will go to their site and use the search feature.

Thanks-----Plain
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

40275-55A (40275-55A OEM), Compensating sprocket - 24 T FL, FLH '55-early'70. Panhead

40282-55A (40282-55A OEM), Compensating sprocket - 23T FL, FLH '55-early'70. Panhead.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I wouldn't bother with a compensator motor sprocket. Yeah, you need to adjust your primary chain every few thousand miles. no big deal. It gives you the freedom to try different toothed motor sprockets. I like to run a 24T motor and a 25 T trans. I have a '55 compensator sprocket I'll sell for 50 bucks. 8-)
Plain

Post by Plain »

VT:

I lean towards the compensating sprocket, but agree with you on the tall gearing. I have found the 24 T motor sporcket, 25 T tranny sprocket and 51T final sprocket to produce the perfect RPM - MPH combination for the way I like to ride.

Plain
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................Buddy!!! Now gimme that in a belt drive tooth combo!!!!!!!!!
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Currently I am running a 25t motor/25t tranny set-up which is about perfect for my combo of town/interstate riding. But smouth it is not in comparison to the belt drive I used for the previous 12 years.

So me too!! lets have a variety of drive pullies.

BTW, I could be wrong but, I don't buy the story that larger pullies will destroy belts.

king
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah...I'm conflicted....conflicted over the belt tooth issue. I emailed BDL direct and Bob G. the owner told me the story about shredding belts. That it had all been tried in the late 70's/early 80's and that only the 31-motor/47 clutch hub pulleys would work. His exact statement was: "Our old 14mm drives had a 24tooth front and a 36 tooth rear with a 78 toothed, 14mm belt. This drive was a failure because the front pulley was too small for the belt tooth, thus many belts broke because of this, so it was discontinued with no reason or desire to ever make it again." There have been reports from Weezo that he has a totally different set up tooth wise. But, it's old stock. Not new. Then someone else said recently that Primo had a new tooth set-up or a new belt. Well....Primo sent me a 31/47 a year ago, just like BDL explained to me, and I'm loading the motor in the frame today. As soon as belt installation week arrives, I'll be on the net to Primo about any new scoop, but I remember Primo telling me, they had no plans for changing the pulleys or belts. This is all going to be revealed in the near future. Find out what you can, but if I don't hear a good answer.......I'm gonna start digging in about a week.

Return to “Sprockets”