65 Pan motor sprocket nut install help

vipersniper
Bikes: 1994 Fatboy
1965 Panhead

65 Pan motor sprocket nut install help

Post by vipersniper »

Hey Guys,
I installed my inner primary on my 65 panhead, clutch chain etc and am baffled that there is no lock nut or lock washer for this motor sprocket nut and if I remember correctly when I removed it there wasn't one either, is there suppose to be a lock washer of some type behind the nut before I torque it, also the nut has a full flat side and a side with inner small lip, which side goes against the sprocket? If I put the lip side there is a slight play in the sprocket. I checked my clymer manual and it doesn't show or explain anything like this.
thankyou
VS
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: 65 Pan motor sprocket nut install help

Post by Bosheff »

A 65 used a compensator set-up. It sounds to me like maybe you are using a solid mount splined sprocket with a nut from a compensator set-up. How long is the nut you are using to secure the sprocket?....bosheff
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

The nut is 1 1/2" X 1/2" thick, in the clymer manual it does show this nut but of course its a picture and just shows it in front of the sprocket only.
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

Here is what I have:

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The nut and solid sprocket are perfectly fine to run. Not all bikes had compensator sprockets, they were part of an accessory group. The nu should have the machined flat against the sprocket. If all your spacers are correct behind it there should not be any issues with tightening it up. There are no lock washers or tabs involved, and the rotation of the engine helps prevent it from loosening if it was installed correctly.
Robbie
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

There is no spacer behind it just the sprocket and nut, do you happen to have the torque spec for this nut as well?
thankyou for your time
VS
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

VS!

You should hope you have a spacer.

It aligns your chain, inhibits oil from exiting the "slinger" nut to the Timken bearing, and keeps it all from locking up solid when you tighten the nut.

Have you a Service Manual and Parts Catalog?

If not, please set down your tools and back away before something gets hurt.
The directions for determining the correct spacer is detailed in the manual.

....Cotten
PS: A note on compensators: They are very much an advantage with heavy payloads, especially a sidehack.
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

Cotten wrote:VS!

You should hope you have a spacer.

It aligns your chain, inhibits oil from exiting the "slinger" nut to the Timken bearing, and keeps it all from locking up solid when you tighten the nut.

Have you a Service Manual and Parts Catalog?

If not, please set down your tools and back away before something gets hurt.
The directions for determining the correct spacer is detailed in the manual.

....Cotten
PS: A note on compensators: They are very much an advantage with heavy payloads, especially a sidehack.

Just check again and no spacer, torqued the nut and noticing a little play on the sprocket back and forth. yes I do have a parts manual I will check it
thanks
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

parts book is showing a motor sprocket shim part no 6894, did a search and can't seem to find one online does anyone know a size or a washer that is compatable or is it a special shim?
thanks again
VS
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

OK,
I took the spocket off again and there is a spacer in behind there I just didnt see it so I put the sprocket back on and torqued to a 100 ft pounds as book states but I still feel a little back and forth play is that normal?
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Per Cottons recommendation - Check out the Knowledge Base on this site, go under Documentation, and find the 59-69 Service Manual and then look under Chassis - Drive and it will detail the exact process to determine the thickness of the spacer you need.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I still feel a little back and forth play is that normal?
No, it should all be solid when tight. It sounds like the nut is hitting the end of the splines before it actually touches the sprocket. Something is not right.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

VS---as LOWBIKEMIKE said!,check it out,you should have no PLAY on motorsprocket!,& your chain MUST be INLINE with the HUB. Chain must not be cocked at all,once in neautral you will know if its correct just by the ease of sound when its STRAIT!,You can double check with a straightedge before you TOURQUE it up.A straitedge is a MUST for setting-up the Primary!--The TRANNY also plays an important role ---As you set the slack by pulling the Tranny back ,IT MUST BE STRAIGHT with the MOTOR SPROCKET!--(What you want is 3/4-up/down play at the tightest part of the chain, when you achieve this CHECK TO SEE IF BOTH CHAINWHEELS ARE PARALELL to eachother!--This you get by Proper TRANS ADJ.). ITS what needs to be,or else you just cut the life of ALL ROTATING PARTS (chainwheels)-in HALF!---Take yer time & get the APPROPRIATE SPACER,so that motorsprocket is TIGHT!-(no play)---Then proceed to ADJ. CHAIN & TRANNY!----GOOD-LUCK & KEEP HER UPRIGHT! 8) ,HAVE ALOT oF FUN---ITS WHAT WE DO THIS FOR-----RICHIE :wink:
vipersniper
1965 Panhead

Post by vipersniper »

RUBONE wrote:
I still feel a little back and forth play is that normal?
No, it should all be solid when tight. It sounds like the nut is hitting the end of the splines before it actually touches the sprocket. Something is not right.
this is what it looks like maybe the spacer is not wide enough I will check and see if sprockets are aligned properly ans if I need a wider spacer, does anyone know where I can purchase wider spacers if needed?
thanks
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

i shouldn't say anything, but maybe just maybe its the sprocket,? wrong one,? , aftermarket,? or beat up ?--- just saying-------------tony

Return to “Sprockets”