Compensator spocket

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Compensator spocket

Post by Eric »

Could the compensator cause hard starting? Each time the engine fires on both
cylinders and that is it. I have a 93 ci with mallory distributor and S&S carb. I have
the clutch adjusted right and timing. Just went through valve adjustment, carb, and
distributor. This is kick start with compression releases.
Thanks
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Compensator spocket

Post by RUBONE »

Short answer is No. But a slipping clutch can. Is everything else correct? Timing?, basic carb settings?, no intake leaks?
Is this a new condition?
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

Thanks RUBONE,
This has plagued me for about two or three years. I'm always thinking and looking for a fix.
I was hoping the compensator, being in the system, wasn't yet eliminated. So I thought I
would ask. Too much work without the pay off (riding). Pushed it off to the side for awhile.
Need a break. Right now, I have the clutch with alot of slack in it. Is this correct, or should
it be the other direction? I just can't figure it out. Alot of the people I have run across
won't help because it's kick start only. I have even told them I would come to their shop and do
the kicking.
Thanks for your help
Eric
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

eric,

trouble shooting your clutch is easy.

make a mark with chalk or a sharpie marker on the basket and the pressure plate so they line up. then kick a bunch of times, if the marks remain lined up your clutch is not slipping!

john
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

I'd bet just trying to kickstart a 93" PANHEAD is the root of the problem.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Eric!

As Rubone asked,
have you inspected for vacuum leaks?

Please bubble-test, as described at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html.

Testing while assembling will allow you to find the sweet spot where the manifold aligns best, and also warn if you over-tighten the clamps.

And I would certainly test the compression releases too!

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have Kicked 93+inch bikes before!--(1-Thing,all must be in order!,especially VAC.-LEAKS!,mostly overlooked!)-other then that & precise opening of points or whatever-Never had a problem!)-I tried one of those 1-inch longer kick-arms,& Really didnt even know it until I was told!--The bike should fire if theres somthing to burn in the cyl.s!--I olny noticed a little stiffer kick when Comp.-ratios reach 10.5&up!,You need to do like the HD manual says so humorously,Jump & kick very Vigorously :lol: .I never did that & anyone owning dont do it!--Find Comp.-stroke & follow-thru!--Follow COTTONS Virtual Indian instructions for BUBBLE-TESTING the plumbing!-Thats usually where I find everything going wrong!---Richie 8) If your running hi-comp. Chalk-line the basket & make-sure you have no slippage!.
BudPounder
Inactive member
Bikes: 06 FXDB 04 FLHTCUI 89FLHTCU

Post by BudPounder »

Try changing your condencer, it worked in the past.

Return to “Sprockets”