primary chain

socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

primary chain

Post by socalrider »

hellow to all,
are there different size primary chains for stock panheads? my problem is i cant get the proper adjustment on my primary chain. if i mount the adjusting shoe as in the manual illustration with the mounting bolt above the shoe, i can run the bolt all the way to the top of the adjusting slot on the inner primary and the chain will still be WAY too loose. to get the chain tight , i have to move the shoe to the mounting holes on the shoe bracket that are closest to the mounting bolt that goes to the inner primary,turn the whole setup 180* putting the mounting bolt on the underside of the shoe. even then i have to deflect the chain a considerable amount to get the right tension. its almost as if the chain were too big. i am running a stock 65 compensator, stock clutch hub and the bike is a stock 1965 flh. i didnt have the original primary chain so thats new from the dealer. i am going to try and figure out how to take a picture so i can post it. when i proof read this post to myself it sounds confusing. if anyone out there can understand my jibberish and has a solution to my problem, i would very much appreciate the help.
gracias,
arnulfo
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: primary chain

Post by Bosheff »

What is the tooth count on the compensator sprocket?....bosheff
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Re: primary chain

Post by socalrider »

Bosheff, I think you solved my problem! The gear is a 23 tooth. Im thinking it should be a 24 tooth? What year were the23 used on?
Many thanks bosheff
Arnulfo

Return to “Chains & Belts”