BDL drive

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

BDL drive

Post by fourthgear »

I know we had a thread about this some where , but couldn't find it .
I just got my new BDL belt drive yesterday to replace the belt drive I currently have , because I don't know who made it or how old it is and its the last thing that hasn't been renewed so to speak. It has a Gates belt on it but the belt is being eaten up by the front pulley. The teeth are chipped ( probably from some one using some thing on it to hold it for removal or installation ) and rubber is being eaten off of it and of course its all over the in side ,like hair balls.
The new BDL system came with two belts , a surprise to me . I pulled the clutch and found that grease had flung out from the clutch/basket bearing but only contaminated the front of the first friction plate( a normal occerance), I wounder if this could be causing the grunting noise when engaging when cold? Grabby clutch? Other wise the system looks real good for a dry clutch set up . The Alto clutch looks good except for the grease on the front of one , new steel plates are good , no oil in primary another good thing.
I took photos and will post some of them when replacement of system is complete , Both systems are 11mm but tooth counts are diff. , can't wait to see how performance is effected by the change.

03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: BDL drive

Post by 03Roadking »

Fourthgear
You say two belts? are they the same size or is one longer than the other. I'm still working on my trans and what I noticed is my trans has to be all the way forward to get the belt on and then I only have about 3/8 of an inch travel and the belt is to tight
I would like to see the picture of your setup
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I too was surprised when I got two belts with my kit. When I ordered it I wanted to have a spare belt on hand so I ordered an extra belt at the same time that I ordered the belt drive kit. So, I ended up with a total of 3 belts.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Both belts have the same numbers , so I hope they are the same size( you never know ) and I will post ( or our buddy Panhead will post for me , thanks Panhead ) select photos when change over is complete.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Belt system replacement went well , I did over tighten the belt and it let me know after it warmed up . The teeth numbers are diff. and third gear is not the same , I believe some one else said that a while back. After re adj. belt , I took the old lady out to test it , had to see how it ran with a passenger , starting up from dead stop an all, ran pretty good but seemed to have lost some power , thought it was just the drive ratio . Since it has five hundred miles on new motor , I decided to check timing and points, timing was off a bit and points were a little off and I re gaped a new set of Champions to 27 and what a diff. the tune up made all the power is back but not the third gear power I had before, it just seems to pull all the way up ( first time up to ninety five mph. ) I guess you can say just smooth all the way. I think the old teeth numbers were 28/45 and new is 31/47 , Thats from memory and will have to check when I get back home , but sure its close if not correct. I have photos and will have to get them in here as soon as possible.

Post by gearbox

One of these threads had something about clutch noise and we were talking about a groaning noise when engaging the clutch when cold . Since I put my new BDL belt system on I no longer get that noise ,but still get chatter. I know I had grease on the back or inner friction plate and the clutch basket was not new, but in really good shape, but that noise has not resurfaced and maybe it could have been just the grease. Maybe the whole new system took care of it , not sure . I did nothing except clean that last friction plate on the clutch and it was only on the one side next to the shell, no soaking ( I'm not sure if Alto red clutches are Kevlar )or any thing else. I am running the long bearings on the clutch hub and did not touch any thing there. There has to be something to it.
I see that Ram Jet clutch retainer says its for three finger hubs only , is there some thing to that or can I use one on my five finger?
kell

Post by kell »

At the very least, the fingers of your clutch would need grooves for c-clips.

Return to “Chains & Belts”