primary drive belt replacement

bluemarlin

primary drive belt replacement

Post by bluemarlin »

i have a enclosed primary drive belt [ make unknown]on my 58 pan it has just snapped! :( :( are the belts standard or do you need a specific belt for different makes? :? what tools do i need to carry out the job? any tips on changing it? :wink: its my first time!!!
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

You need to know the width (probably 1 1/2", 2" or 3"), the pitch (distance between the teeth, 8 or 11 mm) and the number of teeth. You can probably get an standard replacement belt.
The complete clutch assembly must be removed.
bluemarlin

Post by bluemarlin »

thanks for the reply! i was hoping i could just take the front pulley off, looks like i will need a clutch puller after all.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,

try the front pulley first it works on mine. push the tranny as far foward as it will go, slip the belt around clutch, and it should be set to put on front pulley. it works on mine
mbskeam

dam those peskey rocks
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Anonymous wrote:thanks for the reply! i was hoping i could just take the front pulley off, looks like i will need a clutch puller after all.
You don't need a clutch hub puller. You can remove the clutch disk pack and the clutch basket without a puller.

There is a description on removing the clutch assy on my web site:
http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept2.htm
roadhouse

belt

Post by roadhouse »

All you have to do is remove is front pulley , then count the teeth on both pulleys and take whats left of your belt head over to a bike shop , they will match your belt. Then when you install new belt , slip belt over clutch pulley and put it on motor pulley and push the motor pulley on to shaft.
(you may or not have to loosen transmission)

Return to “Chains & Belts”