Primary chain supplier

King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Primary chain supplier

Post by King »

Can anyone suggest a supplier for primary chain?

I broke a link last week while dialing in the Bendix. I must say a snapped link at about 3200 rpm will sure get your attention. And I now know why they have two rows, the second one is to get you home.

I tried an 82 link one from the Harley shop but with my 25 tooth motor sprocket it is about two links short. What I need to do is get about 85 links and custom fit it.

Thanks

King
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Primary chain supplier

Post by panhead »

Jan Willem Boon has a Diamond front chain with 84 links:

B 2001-36AN, 40009-36A, Chain, front, Diamond, 84 links for Big Twins '37-up. UL, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead.
327nova

Post by 327nova »

Grainger.com - 10 ft. , about 80 bucks, or any local belt supply can get shorter pieces. It is Tsubaki, but looks like the old Diamond style. Works okay in non oil bath tin primary. The post 1964 aluminum primary cover type chain doesn't last long without the oil bath. Good Luck.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Grainer's prices sound good, but is it OK running a master link? Seems to me mine was endless.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
ran a master link for years, no problem with it.just put it so that the clip and plate are on the outside.
before going to belt drive.
mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Same here, used a "Master (repair link) in my primary chain, for custom-fit chain. I just made sure the clips faced forward, (opening in back) as U would on a rear chain..My master repair link was a "Duckworth" Oldie but goodie..from NOS parts....
No Problems.... & I run her too.. ;)

'Billy'
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

I called Old Dude. He has primary chain in sufficient lengths for any fit. And it is good old American Diamond chain at a price far below Harley's offering.

I was more than mildly pissed when the one I got from Harley (in "official"Harley Parts Box) was made in Italy. No disrespect intended towards Italy, but when American products are available I believe Harley should use them.

All of the chains I have used front and rear were installed with master links. As Mbskeam noted, be sure the clip and link are on the outside and have the closed end of the clip pointed in the direction of rotation.

Good Rides

King

Return to “Chains & Belts”