Belt drive for 1957 pan: what will it take

57pankicks
Inactive member

Belt drive for 1957 pan: what will it take

Post by 57pankicks »

i have a 57 pan what will it take to make it a belt drive? do you use the org. primary covers ect. ect. thanks
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Belt drive for 1957 pan

Post by caschnd1 »

There are a number of belt drives out there that will fit under the original tin cover. I've run the Primo and SuperMax belt drives. Both are very good. I prefer the SuperMax drive because it has polurethane pullies and does not make any clutch plate noise. Some people don't mind that noise at all, but to me it's like fingers on a chalk board. Because of the polyurethane pullies, the SuperMax belt drive needs to be aligned more carefully in order to keep the belt from rubbing on the edges of the pully and causing premature wear. The SuperMax belt drive also allows you to choose from 4 different primary drive ratios so you can get your bike geared the way you want.

For any belt drive you'll need to shutoff the chain oiler and re-route the breather so that you aren't putting an oil mist on your belt. You'll also need to vent the primary to keep things cool. I use 3/8" spacers to hold the outer cover away from the inner primary and allow air to flow. Looks very close to stock.

Hope that helps.
-Craig
49txpan

Post by 49txpan »

Craig,

I am going through the Pan right now and am thinking about going with a belt drive. I will look into the Supermax.

All, one question, I have read that belts put much more tension on the crank bearing than a chain would and could do some preliminary wear. Any thoughts on that subject?

Russ
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Here is a link to some information about my belt drive conversion. (YMMV).

http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept2-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Although it might be a good idea, as suggested earlier, to ventilate your primary cover, I don't think it is essential. Mine is tucked neatly away as stock and I have not had a problem as yet.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

I think the ventalation issue depends a lot on your environment. In Arizona we spend the months of June-Sept with daytime highs of 110-115*F (43-46*C). In those temps I'd hate to even think about what the temps inside a closed primary climb too. I can tell you that even with my primary vented I can burn my hand on the outer cover on a hot day. I noticed when I installed my belt drive that I could have a really nice loose spot when it was cool but after riding to work it was like a guitar string. Had to make it even looser then the instructions called for. Belts hate to be too tight almost more then anything else.

But I think on Vancouver Island you might not have to worry about the heat as much.

-Craig
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

110-115' ? holy sh*t, you don't have an oil cooler either do you Craig? I notice my pan doesn't quite run as well when it gets
hot
here (90's) and a mechanic buddy gives me a hard time about not running an oil cooler. If I rode in that heat, I guess I would space outer cover too.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Panfreak,

You're right. No oil cooler. That's something I'm working on correcting. I'm trying to come up with a slick solution before I jump in and just start cutting oil lines.

In the summer here I run straight 70wt oil and change it about every 8 weeks.

-Craig
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I have been running a belt, with the cover not spaced out
I think the weather (heat) is a factor, but in wash that is not a real problem.
I have not had any issues with the belts other than picking up ROCKS but that is diff.issue all togethor.....LOL
mbskeam
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I've run an 1 1/2" Primo for many years with a few vent holes drilled in the front and rear of the inner primary. Also drilled some holes in the inner primary case sort of following the path of the belt. Works fine for me.
57pankicks
Inactive member

Post by 57pankicks »

first off great site, and thanks for the pics on the belt drives, dose any body have the email address for supermax? thanks again
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

http://www.supermax.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I run a KARATA belt (1 .5") and it tucks in right nice into stock primaries.............
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Hey 57pankicks,

Did you email SuperMax for info on their belt drive? Phil from SuperMax called me over the weekend and said someone had emailed him who had read one of my posts about the SilentDrive. When he tried emailing them back, the mail got bounced. If you are waiting for info from SuperMax you might try emailing them again. Maybe the email return address got messed up.

-Craig
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I had an email to 57pankicks get bounced too. I resent it as "text only" rather than html and then it went thru. If it happens again maybe you could have then try that.

Return to “Chains & Belts”