New belt drive

49txpan

New belt drive

Post by 49txpan »

I am rebuilding a 49 chopper and want to put it back together with a belt drive and shut off the oiler. I have read lots of threads here on belts but am wonder about preference.
1. 8MM Belt enclosed
2. 11MM Belt enclosed
3. 3" Open

I am not sure of the reasons for going with 11MM over 8MM. And, I am thinking going open is a matter of preference for looks since I am running stock stroke? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: New belt drive

Post by mbskeam »

hello,

well you can get the 1-1/2 8mm belt set up for about 220.00, not sure about the 11mm, I think those were made for the alum. primary, as these have no adj. to them
the 3" is in 8mm, and you would be open for sure.
go with the look you want.

on the bike I am building now it will be running open chain, gotta live on the edge you know.

mbskeam
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I've run a 8mm Primo and a 14mm SuperMax belt drive (both 1 1/2" wide) on my panhead. I run with the cover in place but well vented. The SuperMax belt is *MUCH* heavier duty then the Primo 8mm belt. Looks like it could take a lot more stress. The SuperMax drive is not cheap, about twice what the Primo will cost you, but I like it because it's totally silent. Uses polyurithane pullies that don't transmit the jingling sound from the clutch plates.

-Craig
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I've run a Primo 11mm. in vented stock tins for a long time, I don't think with a stock motor you would be overtaxing either the 8mm or 11mm. The introduction of the 11 was to give you a closer- to- stock (1.5 to 1) drive ratio than what you had available with the 8. I replace my belt at about 15K, no matter how it looks. For the $65 it costs for a belt, I figure it's cheap insurance. If you like the looks of the 3" belt, go for it, but I don't think you should feel like you need that size belt.
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Hello txpan49....I've got 2 BELT DRIVE systems for sale here on the "For Sale" forum....contact me if interested at: jfranco@ureach.com. Been investigating the same question you've been looking into...got some good answers so if you want to swap belt drive options, call me (425) 765-8204 or email me....
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “Chains & Belts”