Rear chain lubing intervals

How often do you lube it?

ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Rear chain lubing intervals

Post by ArizonaMike »

Hi
I'm still new at rear chains. How often do you lube it? Every so
many weeks? Miles? The manual isn't really specific. Also, where on the chain do you direct the end of the spray can's tube? Chain's center? Each roller side?
Thanks in advance for responses.

Mike Colaizzi, Pgh PA
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Re: Rear chain lubing intervals

Post by 56panman »

Hi Mike- There are many variables as to when a chain requires oiling. Such as getting caught in the rain or doing alot of riding on dirt rodes,ect..ect.. I always do mine anytime I have the bike up on the lift for adjusting the chain or repacking wheel bearings. I also keep a close eye on it when it stops throwing oil all over the back wheel. That can mean my chain needs oiled or the trannys getting low on oil cause it throws a bit of oil on the chain as well.

Can't help ya with where to direct the end of soray can cause I've always had the habit of removing the chain and soaking it over night in a bucket of light weight oil. Just oil it when you feel it needs it and I think you'll be O.K.-Steve
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Mike -

When my road bike was a regular on cross-country trips, I would lube the chain every 200 to 250 miles. The chain always stayed hot, so the lube went away quick. When not on the road, but still active locally, once every month while it was on the stand to check for adjustment.

Jack
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

I put 1 shot of grease ( from the gun ) on my chain every time I ride it.
ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Post by ArizonaMike »

Thanks for replying. Jack, where do you direct the stream of lubricant on the chain?
Sidecar, you stated you use grease on your chain? Doesn't it fly off into tiny blobs?
Mike
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Mike -

I ever so slightly foam the inside of the chain, moving from one side of the roller to the other. Then, I let it sit for a short while, if on the road. Otherwise, I let it sit overnight.

Jack
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

found this a while back and saved it. its kinda a add for there chain but a good read.....

http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_abou ... chains.htm

How to Correctly Lube your Chain!

Most people (probably 7 out of 10) don't know how to correctly "lube" their Motorcycle Chain! A chain wears at it's "Pins", that holds the inner & outer Side Plates together. It's "Pin" wear that causes your chain to stretch! (wear) Most people just spray the chain lube on the back of the sprocket down the middle of the chain. This does your chain very little good!!!! The chain rollers need very little lubrication. The only correct way to get the lube to the Pins....is to spray just above the chain at the bottom of the sprocket & let gravit do the work. The lube will flow between the side plates to get to the shaft of the Pins. Then do the other side the same way. The difference between a improperly lubed chain & one that is lubed correctly can mean up to a 35% increase in the life of your chain! Remember that a properly lubed non O-Ring Chain with the same Tensile Strength.....will last just as long if "lubed" correctly! Even a X-Ring chain seals have to be lubed occasionally to keep them from drying out & help flush grit off the chain!!!!

mbskeam
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

Apr 21, 2006, 9:54pm, Mike Colaizzi PghPA wrote:
Thanks for replying. Jack, where do you direct the stream of lubricant on the chain?
Sidecar, you stated you use grease on your chain? Doesn't it fly off into tiny blobs?
Mike
Mike, sorry for the long delay in responding.
No. The grease does not fly off. It blends in very well. I squirt it on my finger and then rub it into the slots right in front of the rear sprocket. As soon as you move the bike forward, it hits the sprocket and blends it. I have been doing this for 35 years.

If you run a chrome or "clean" chain use vaseline.
Vaseline is also easy to carry on long trips.

Return to “Chains & Belts”