Primary belt removal help needed

TC

Primary belt removal help needed

Post by TC »

I have a belt primary and am removing the motor for the first time since I bought the bike. I bought a impact gun and the 1-1/2" socket for the pulley nut. Recently told not to use it because it could knock the flywheels out of true. Told to use a board wedged between the motor and trans pulleys. I was also told not to reuse the nut. What's the best way for you guys? Thanks! TC
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Re: Primary belt removal help needed

Post by captainharley »

Wish I could help, but I have yet to run a "rubber band" primary belt. Got one just have not put it on. How big of impact wrench did you get, air or electic? I could possibily see an air impact upsetting flywheels. I use an electic one on my primary/tranny connections. On the motor sprocket (solid not compensating) I use my "natural arm" with its inheirent torque abilities with red locktight and a piece of wood. And I always use the same nut over again. Good luck and keep us informed with what you do. AMF/Ride Safe
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Primary belt removal help needed

Post by Cotten »

A properly applied impact for disassembly should not affect your wheels, but then some people can screw up anything.

When Chubbles came out with a 400 ft/lb spec for the sprocket shaft nut inside between the flywheels, people got out their diesel equipment and applied them to the compensator nuts!
(I had to completely disassemble and reassemble a fresh motor for a fellow who spun the nut off inside the cases.)

Assembly is where the need for caution is obvious.

...Cotten

Return to “Chains & Belts”