Belt drives, what are you running?

pantastic

Belt drives, what are you running?

Post by pantastic »

hey yall im trying to figure out what kind of 3" belt drive i have??? i don't see any names or part #'s, the prior owner was thinking it might have been a baker or barnett b-something..... iv been researching on the internet but don't see anything that looks like mine. how ever i do see that i can mount a ring gear on the back which is good cause i need a starter (gimp leg!!!) seeing as how im having trouble signing in and cant post pics if you running a 3" belt drive can you post pics or help clue me in????
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

m having trouble signing in and cant post pics
You must register first.
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

thanks panhead i finally got reg!!!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Speaking of belt drives I see in the new JP catalog Rivera is offering 1 1/2 belt drive setup which also includes the Pro-Clutch for about $650, that's only about $40 for the clutch, sounds like a good deal. Mike
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

That is a good deal. Works in stock chain primary hubs or use a Rivera belt clutch hub. Cures all the shell wobble problems with one assembly.
The clutch is pre-adjusted at the factory. No worries.
The 2 sizes of assorted shims (not shown) are only used after significant mileage. They don't want the diaphragm spring [sort of like a (37871-41) clutch releasing disc] to be flat. So, they provide (4) .020" (large) and (4) .030" (small) shims to maintain the diaphragm spring (arch-gap) of .010" - .020". Large shims install sandwiched on the shouldered nuts, for less arch. Small shims are used on the hub stud nuts for more arch.
Get the clutch hub holding tool (PC-3000) and hub puller (PC-2000) too. You can't use your stock style clutch hub puller, on a (PC-1000-A) Pro-Clutch . You need the clutch tools and they're not that expensive.
Mine is the 11mm x 1-1/2 w/ Kevlar belt. Don't ever bend a belt or it's history.
PC -1000-A
The hub nut (PP-016-T) is not included. You need it.
The seal (PP-017) is not included with the hub nut. You need it, but it's the same (James) as the OEM 12014.
imo, anytime a manufacturer utilizes an OEM type part in a hi-tech assembly, it's a class act.
Thanks Mike. :)
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... ley&page=1
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

That's $685.00 , still a good deal, Mike
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

ya that seems like a good deal. are yall hijacking this thread??? haha just kidding... does any one know what that unit is in the pic? or am i just on a wild goose chase. or would it just be best to find any ring gear that fits and weld it on? thanks for the help
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

The Pro-Clutch you see is the (PC-1000-A)
The hub nut is another part and the oil seal is another part. The Rivera site is hard to navigate. If you click catalog you get a list of page numbers and it's a stab-and-guess as to which page you'll get to see. I told them about the poor navigation and he told me, "Yep , well, you're talking about a Random Index feature and they're an expensive system to install, unless of course, you'd like to pay for one."
Anyway, Go to Technical Support and drop-down menu to Installation Guides and Clutches. There's the same instructions you see above, except I think mine are easier to read. :)
http://www.riveraengineering.com/html/spprtinstll.html
Look for:
Pro-Clutch Installation Instructions - PC-1000-A for all 1936-1984 Big-Twin applications
For the ring gear? Imo, get a Rivera drum. Don't know the part or page number for that. You can't just punch in a part number and find it in that list of pages on Rivera's site either. That would be a Random Index feature.
Oh yeah, I get it, you were talking about Mike's pics. :oops:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

54 panman, sorry, must have lost my head. No I can't identify that clutch unit. Are you planning on using a 65 inner primary and tranny or a tech cycle starter? Mike
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

hey yall the pics are of what is on the bike now. i'd like to identify it to get a ring gear for it (it looks like a can bolt one on) or figure out where else to get a ring gear to fit it and also what ever starter will work with the ring gear in Q:......... its an std tranny case with the ears still on it so i should be able to bolt a starter right in!!!????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

No idea what clutch that is , seems every one changes there look every couple of years. looks like a diaphram type clutch.
I can not see if the ears are on the back of the tranny , but the front ones are there . The easiest way to install an electric starter would be to use the 65 inner primary , but since you have a 3 " belt system , you will need to go to a custom set up just for wide belt drive ( open ) they've got a bolt on bracket for an electric start or a special inner primary.
Can't help ya on the ring gear for the clutch shell , not sure if you could tac a stock one on that shell .
texasbobber
Bikes: 1951 FL Panhead

Post by texasbobber »

Pantastic - you might have a Phase 3 belt drive there, it's hard to see for sure. Phase 3's been out of business for quite awhile.
On my '51 FL I have the 'Silent Drive' from SuperMax Belt Drives for a year and a half or so. In the past have run a couple other brands.
I highly recommend SuperMax in any width belt.
TxRR
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

See my ansewer on 54pans later post. I know for fact that Primo set up rocks. No chatering, No grabing. Just peace! Worth every dime. The real bitch is it's so simple that the factory could have come up with it fifty years ago. Ride safe, Bob

Return to “Chains & Belts”