Primary chain lubrication drip rate

doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Primary chain lubrication drip rate

Post by doc308 »

I have a '48 panhead and am wondering what the proper oil drip rate is from the breather tube onto the primary chain-- i.e. how many drops w/I a minute or some specific period of time.
Thanks.
Larry
Bikes: -

Re: Primary chain lubrication drip rate

Post by Larry »

There is no specific rate. It depends on severity of use. A full dresser running hard on the interstate in July will require more oil than a bobber used only for short trips. If the drip is dark in color, there's enough oil. If it comes out rusty colored, the chain needs more oil. With proper adjustment, you can usually get as much as 1000 miles per quart.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Hot oil flys of the chain and makes a mess, I spray both chains every 400 miles, two drops per minute will work.
rico
Bikes: 1949 FL

Post by rico »

I have a 49, all the chain needs is an oily mist from the breather tube, adjust the primary oiler screw on the pump about 1/2 turn out, as long as the chain
is oily its ok, if it gets rusty brown back it out some, if there seems to be too much oil coming out the primary drain tube turn the screw in I/4 more.
The rate of oil you need to the primary chain is minimal, all you need is a light mist. There is no drip rate involved, just keep an eye on the chain.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The adjustment procedure is in the owners and service manuals. See the documentation section.

General Specifications and Maintenance
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

1950Panhead wrote:Hot oil flys of the chain and makes a mess, I spray both chains every 400 miles, two drops per minute will work.
But it's contained in the primary chaincase, so what's the problem?
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Larry wrote:There is no specific rate. It depends on severity of use. A full dresser running hard on the interstate in July will require more oil than a bobber used only for short trips. If the drip is dark in color, there's enough oil. If it comes out rusty colored, the chain needs more oil. With proper adjustment, you can usually get as much as 1000 miles per quart.
If the oil from the breather is rusty-colored, I think you have more than a chain-oiling problem!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If your using your oilers /As you should//I have found that /I go thru 3/4s of a quart between 4 to 500 miles.So Thats usually when your adj. your chains anyway on a Rigid framed bike.The misting from breather & the dripping from the oiler is Plenty to keep that Primary chain WET!//IF your chains are NOT WET to the touch /You will not get your moneies worth out of them!//Also just because your weephole may drop some brown oil/This does not mean you have a serious problem.This is simply water that builds-up during your cool downs//not all of it will make it to the weep EVERY-TIME.Also Its a sign that the machine is not being used enuff & given the chance to weep all that crud out!//Dont use pressure-washers//A regular hose is plenty when cleaning road grime & tar off the bike.Be careful with the hose around the breather screw on ratchet-lid of trans!/If so equipped.---Respectfully---Richie
Larry

Post by Larry »

A primary chain that is insufficiently lubricated will turn the oil brown; I assume from heat generated at the pins. This is different from the milky brown of oil mixed with water.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Larry wrote:A primary chain that is insufficiently lubricated will turn the oil brown; I assume from heat generated at the pins. This is different from the milky brown of oil mixed with water.
Hi lArry:

It sounds like you are talking about the oil that drips out of the primary chaincase, while the OP was asking about the oil coming out of the chain oiler INTO the primary chaincase.
Larry

Post by Larry »

The two are interrelated; what drips on the chain eventually drips on the ground.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Larry wrote:The two are interrelated; what drips on the chain eventually drips on the ground.
Absolutely.

My point, though, is that you responded to a question about oil coming out of the breather, with an answer that only applies to oil dripping out of the chaincase.

Telling the OP to watch out if the oil is rusty colored, when he is looking at the oil coming out of the breather, is going to mislead him.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

I like mine set to a drip every 5 seconds or so , you know your getting ample oiling on the chain . Oil is cheaper then parts
Adam
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Hey all, rather than start a new thread on this I thought I would piggy back on this one. I've owned my '41 Knuck for 10 years??? She always left a spot on the ground about the size of a half dollar, which I have been told is perfect. Chain always looked new whenever I inspected or worked on it. A few months back I stopped for a break while riding and looked down to find a pancake sized spot on the ground. Put her up on the rack and ran with the cover off, yea messy. Drips about every 5-7 seconds or so. Started removing shims to no avail and washer. Tightened adjusting screw gently against the bottom, still the same problem, no difference in the flow rate. Am I missing something here? Shouldn't that have drastically slowed or shut off the oiling to the chain? As always, any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.............
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Not all oil that comes out is regulated by the oiler screw, some is excess oil mist carried with the breather exhaust. If your engine is trying to sump it will spew oil out the primary vent. Anything that allows more oil to be in the crankcases will manifest itself there first.

Return to “Chains & Belts”