Primary chain

chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Primary chain

Post by chuck 56 pan »

I searched the knowledge base and found some discussion about the lube that comes on the new Diamond chain and weather or not it should be left on. I did not come away with a clear answer, or perhaps this will be a subject that has so many different opinions that wont end up with a clear answer. I would like to hear some more opinions on this. Do you install the chain right out of the box or clean it and lube with your own stuff?

Chuck
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Re: Primary chain

Post by JR JOHNSON »

I've done it both ways,let it stay on,wash it off in the solvent tank,not soaking it in solvent,just out side of it,than soak it in chainsaw bar oil,than i got tired of it 30 years ago,put a belt drive on her. just my opinion.............with respect.........JR ........also it seem to last longer soaking in bar oil,but i pulled the chain,and soaked it when I'd maintenance before a long ride,but the belt was the best deal,but had to play with gear ratio............JR
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Took the new chain, did not clean it, put it in a pan, pumped grease all over it,
stuck it in the oven until the grease liquified, swished the chain around in it then let it sit and absorb the grease for a while then hung it up to cool and drip.
Like repacking a chain.
I too have a belt drive now.
Jim
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Chuck!

Do Diamond chains still come with a dark and super-heavy grease upon them?

I was forced to render the grease off of all chains with a hot-air gun for more than one reason;
The first is that its messy and hard to clean off of tires and such, annoying customers enormously.
Second was that chains were not lasting a fraction of the miles they should.
Third was with primary chains upon '65s, where such a grease would be undesireable to be sucked back into the motor.

I subscribe to the light lube theory, as it will hold a lot less dirt, and is far easier to cleanse.

....Cotten
JR JOHNSON

Post by JR JOHNSON »

58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have run a Chain on all my bikes & what I do is clean off new chain by wiping it!,just until its off the surface!--Then I dunk it in some old 20-50 for 20min. & hang-dripdry,Then wipe it & install,-(done)--Always grease your compensator since your in there!--Set your up & down on the Tightest part of chain,5/8 I have been doing with a fresh chain!-(it should be 3/4). Now my oiler takes care of the rest!---Be sure to make-sure your oiler isnt clogged!--Then at my ADJ.-Everything routine at 500 miles I dip a brush in STP oil treatment & put it on the chain HEAVILY!--Take her for a ride to warm-up the chains & your done!.,,Ofcoarse you can use PJ-1 in a can I tried it seemed good for the rear chain. I do this once a week when I hit my 4-500 mile mark on the OD.Swingarms are SOOO much MORE FORGIVING!,In that you dont have to check each fastener that got vibed-LOOSE from a RIGID-FRAMED bike!--Besides All those who ride Rigids know when its time for thier bikes ADJ. For me its 400,not Rappin the hell out of it!,500 it Always needs ADJ. So I hope this helps in your CHAIN!--I have never seen a BIKE on the roadside with a Primary-Chain laying there!--BUT BELTS I seen PLENTY!-Partly because they give no indications for servicing!-They just POP!---Belts are Quieter & you get-rid of 12lbs. of rotating mass!--(to me that mass is crucial to TOURQUE!)--Also you are LIMITED to final drive ratios!-(i think theres like 5-7 diff. ratios. With a chain its LIMIT is EXACTLY what you want! & thats ALOT of RATIOS!---just my 2-respectfully----RICHIE 8)
JR JOHNSON

Post by JR JOHNSON »

RICHIE,
58flh wrote:I have run a Chain on all my bikes & what I do is clean off new chain by wiping it!,just until its off the surface!--Then I dunk it in some old 20-50 for 20min. & hang-dripdry,Then wipe it & install,-(done)--Always grease your compensator since your in there!--Set your up & down on the Tightest part of chain,5/8 I have been doing with a fresh chain!-(it should be 3/4). Now my oiler takes care of the rest!---Be sure to make-sure your oiler isnt clogged!--Then at my ADJ.-Everything routine at 500 miles I dip a brush in STP oil treatment & put it on the chain HEAVILY!--Take her for a ride to warm-up the chains & your done!.,,Ofcoarse you can use PJ-1 in a can I tried it seemed good for the rear chain. I do this once a week when I hit my 4-500 mile mark on the OD.Swingarms are SOOO much MORE FORGIVING!,In that you dont have to check each fastener that got vibed-LOOSE from a RIGID-FRAMED bike!--Besides All those who ride Rigids know when its time for thier bikes ADJ. For me its 400,not Rappin the hell out of it!,500 it Always needs ADJ. So I hope this helps in your CHAIN!--I have never seen a BIKE on the roadside with a Primary-Chain laying there!--BUT BELTS I seen PLENTY!-Partly because they give no indications for servicing!-They just POP!---Belts are Quieter & you get-rid of 12lbs. of rotating mass!--(to me that mass is crucial to TOURQUE!)--Also you are LIMITED to final drive ratios!-(i think theres like 5-7 diff. ratios. With a chain its LIMIT is EXACTLY what you want! & thats ALOT of RATIOS!---just my 2-respectfully----RICHIE 8)
RICHIE,I've sat on the side of the road with a snapped chain,and a buldge primary.so trust me,it happens..............with respect...JR..ALSO SNAP BELTS TO,EASY TO FIX,AND CARRIE WITH YOU,AND OUT LASTED THE LIFE OF THE CHAINS............JR
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

JR!---The olny busted chains were at the track!/& if busted on the street YOU had to be worn to the limit where you cant pull the tranny back anymore!,-So I can see a chain breaking When it gets to that point,& it must of went a good while before it boke loose!,Maybe even the oiler has become clogged?--I honestly have never seen a chain busted on a run!--Yes I agree with you that a BELT once set its a DONE-DEAL!--with chains you will be ADJ. ALOT!--Respectfuly--RICHIE

Return to “Chains & Belts”