BDL motor pulley

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

BDL motor pulley

Post by hplhd »

i have a splined shaft. a friend gave me a new 1 1/2 belt system he wasnt going to use. i did a search but nothing on my problem. the pulley is so tight trying to go over the splines i can only get it on maybe 1/8 inch or so and then its to tight to slide on. the shaft is good, i had a friend at bona-fide cycle check it out. i have worked on the pulley with a jewelrs file and it is better. did yalls pulley go on easily or are they supposed to be tighter than dicks hat band??
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: BDL motor pulley

Post by steve_wood »

Mine went on real easy.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

I put a Supermax on my 58 and it was tight. The nut easily put it on and a puller easily pulled it off.....Rod
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i got it to were the nut gets it on and need to puller to get it off rod. man that dam thing was crazy tite before i filed on it. i guess i'm ok then. ida felt better if i didnt have to mess with it.
thanks guys.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Did yer buddy ever try to install the pulley on a motor? Are ya runnin an aftermarket motor sprocket shaft? Does your original motor sprocket slide on and off your motor sprocket shaft without drawin it on with a nut or removing it with a puller. Mixing aftermarket parts with "Genuine" OR aftermarket parts often leads to the problem you seem to have. Maybe your problem is the reason yer buddy turned you on to the belt system....bosheff
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

shoot about the only thing original on this motor are the cases and heads. i just checked the pulley that was on there, one of those big ass primo belts.that pulley slid on and off but if you turn it one notch it dosnt slide on. it does what the 1.5 pulley does, binds part way on. hell i have all sorts of before,during and aftermarket parts that need or needed tweeking.
all the splines should be the same width,right. i'm guessing the wide pulley might have had work done with a file if it only slides on one way.
the buddy that gave me the new belt didnt saw he had trouble with it. shoot it looked brand new to me,just opened. i just had to cut the ring gear of the hub.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Sounds like yer motor sprocket shaft may be suspect. Yer probably gonna have to dress the pulley, or just live with it. Be careful when using the nut to draw the pulley on the shaft. You don't want to cross thread it or pull the threads out of it...bosheff

Return to “Chains & Belts”