New Member - Clutch Issue - Please Help

jeffwest5599
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 Panhead FLH Chopper

New Member - Clutch Issue - Please Help

Post by jeffwest5599 »

New member. I have a 1965 Pnahead chopper that I have a clutch issue. Two issues are as follows:

1. I put a jockey shift and foot clutch on it. Everything worked good but the clutch would drag. I pulled it apart and adjusted everything. Now, it appears the clutch arm has some play in it and has moved forward, making the lcutch cable now too long. Every time I kick it, it goes in gear. I cannot seem to get it adjusted now and appears something has happened to make this clutch arm loose. It is an open primary with a 3 finger hub. Any suggestions on why the clutch dragged, how to fix and why I have this issue.

2. I purchased a 5 finger hub to install. I need some help on replccing this. Do I need to remove the whole clutch pulley or just the internals to replace this 5 finger hub. I pulled it apart and noticed some roller bearings under the plastic cover of the hub once I rmeoved the clutch plates. I am not sure what I need to remove to replace this 3 finger hub with a 5 finger hub. Any help would be appreciated as well as how tight to I tighten the nuts on the springs of the outer cover once I get everything back installed.

Any help on these issues owudl be grealty appreciated.

Jeff
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: New Member - Clutch Issue - Please Help

Post by Cotten »

Jeff!

A foot clutch with a cable on a Big Twin could mean any number of confusions, as it would be aftermarket or one-off in design.

But before we go any farther, can you get your money back on the 5-stud gimmick?

Odds are that it is the last thing you need.

....Cotten
jeffwest5599
Inactive member

Post by jeffwest5599 »

I am sure I could and I have considered that. I have a clutch whine when you pull in the clutch so I figured if I was going to pull it apart, I would replace some items in the process. I am now at the point where I just want it like it was before so I will not be installing it.

As far as the existing clutch, I removed the foot clutch and put my regular clutch cable back on with lever and it is now not working properly. Basically, the clutch release arm has now moved forward so the cable is now too long as it comes out of the end of the cable and will not work the clutch properly. The clutch release arm is now loose and has a little play. Very frustrating and I do not know what happened. Any ideas on why this would happen and why the drag on the clutch or how to adjust the clutch to prevent the drag. I have adjusted the center nut appropriatley and just wondering if the outer three boilts on the clutch springs coudl have somehting to do with it.

Jeff
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Jeff, when you pulled everything apart and fitted the new set up your throwout bearing might have rotated so when you adjusted everything the clutch arm fork was not connecting the throwout bearing in the slotted cutaway. While you have been trying to sort your drag problem the throw bearing had probably found it's way back to the correct postion and created the slack you now have?

StueyC
jeffwest5599
Inactive member

Post by jeffwest5599 »

That makes sense. How do I go about adjusting the throwout bearing back. Do I just pull the clutch apart again, removine the inner hub bearing or what. I appreciate the help.

Jeff
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

#1 GET A MANUAL
jeffwest5599
Inactive member

Post by jeffwest5599 »

I just purchased a clymer manual and it says nothing about adjusting the throwout bearing in the manual so if anyone know what I need to do to get this back in play, I woudl appreciate it.

Jeff
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Jeff, if you remove your filler cap on the kicker housing you should be able to see the throwout bearing. You will be able to move it around with your finger or a screw driver. You shouldn't have to dissassemble anything to do this.

StueyC
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Is it possible to install the kicker cover without the bearing being indexed correctly? Been so long I dont remember..
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Jdpan- Yes it is.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

The best sorce of info is a "Harley Davidson " printed manual and I believe this is availible right here on this site in the "tech" section . There is alot of confusing missinformation printed by others and unless you make a living wrenching "HD" it can be overwhelming . The average tool box doesnt contain the numerous special tooling required to fix your hog ! A trip to your local expert might seem a bit costly but making a mistake in judgement can easilly exceed the price of expeirence . Ed

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”