63 DuoGlide-Mousetrap

bluegoose
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 Panhead 1979 Shovelhead

63 DuoGlide-Mousetrap

Post by bluegoose »

Gentleman, the mouse trap on my 63 Duo sticks when I clutch. If I clutch only about a third of the way it will return but any further and it sticks open and I'm looking like a dumbass coasting down the street trying to nudge it back shut with my heal. Yes I have greased the zirk and that helped very little, it is a little smoother but still sticks. Any suggestions?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: 63 DuoGlide-Mousetrap

Post by Robert Luland »

Disconnect the contraption including the spring and check for bad bearings. If there good? You got an adjustment problem.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The spring in the mousetrap assists in disengaging the clutch. The 10 springs in the pressure plate engage the clutch. Sounds like you are out of adjustment in the mousetrap or both the trap and the clutch....bosheff
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Post by rozemab »

Assuming the clutch is fine, it sounds like the mousetrap is adjusted too much over top dead center. That adjustment is managed by the screw and nut on the aft side of the trap.

Should only be around 1/8in past TDC.

Plus, the tension spring within the trap is probably too tight. When the trap is 1/8 past TDC, the trap's tension spring is actually pulling giving you a mechanical advantage.

Pull your clutch lever in where it holds itself in. Take the cover off the trap and locate the bolt at the bottom of the spring. Loosen the nut and turn the bolt to reduce the length of the spring (= less force). When the force is reduced, the lever should return to the relaxed position. Tighten the nut.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

PS if you need to push the mousetrap shut when you are riding, it;s easiest to use your hand, not your heel.
bluegoose
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 Panhead 1979 Shovelhead

Post by bluegoose »

awander wrote:PS if you need to push the mousetrap shut when you are riding, it;s easiest to use your hand, not your heel.
Andy, I'm 6'5"....it's easier and way more inconspicuos to lift up my heal and bump it back than to lean clear over and use my hand lol!! Thanks for the tip though

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”