Mousetrap adjustment help

the clutch pull on my 50 pan chop is killing me..

50pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 pan

Mousetrap adjustment help

Post by 50pan »

someone help me please....the clutch pull on my 50 pan chop is killing me..dont want to change over to eliminator cause i had these before and know with the right adjustment they can be tamed..lost the touch over the years and need gorilla hands to pull clutch in..i have all the books and manuals but need to know the secret trick to adjusting this monster..new clutch..new cable..lubed and greased..please help...... ??? ???
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Mousetrap adjustment help

Post by fourthgear »

50 Pan
Do you have stock springs in the clutch? If it has them there heavy duty ones it could cause hard pulling . If you have a manual it goes thru the adj. procedure and you can play with the booster spring adj.. Good luck
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

50pan.
Slack everything off,luby..luby .
Start at the clutch end and work forward, follow the manual directions, and take your time. Haggis
50pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 pan

Post by 50pan »

thanks for the replies..followed the manuals,distance from lever rod to tranny cant be right anymore not after 55 years old..also not sure or 1/8 over dead center mark ?? confusing..what do they mean by spring dead center and which direction over dead center ? forward or reverse ? help me thanks ....
Pegtooth

Post by Pegtooth »

50 Pan,identical situation with inability to separate chamfer on rod 4and1/8 inches from tranny, and totally confused by the"dead center'diagrahm. Backed off my springs1/2 turn per instruction by one of our learned members ,found pull easier. Best of fortune.
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

There are three "parts" to line up to find exact dead center. They are the top and bottom spring supports, and the pivot point for the whole "rocker". With the cover removed, and watching the spring, and the "pivot" point midway up the spring, move the clutch handle in untill these three points line up, that's dead center. For the best pull, follow the recommended 1/8" forward (towards the front of the bike, which is when the clutch is fully released and resting on the "stop" not the clutch lever) of dead center by adjusting the "stop" that is sticking out of the center of the unit. There is a great diagram in the clymer manual.
Hope this helps
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

Dumb question but...... since we're on this topic and I haven't looked into it before, is a mousetrap supposed to make it easier to pull the clutch in?
My 53' pan chopper doesn't have a mousetrap setup but a cable going directly to the tranny from a handlebar clutch lever. It's pretty tough to pull in and hold when you're in that stop and go traffic. Would a mousetrap make it easier to work with?
Thanks!

jester-
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Rainjester,
Yes it would help a lot. The correct name for the mousetrap is Mechanical advantage. When adjusted properly , it requires very little effort to engage the clutch.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”