Clutch Adjustment problem

OckMock
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 panhead chopper

Clutch Adjustment problem

Post by OckMock »

I have a 4speed clutch with 5 finger hub and ram-jet retainer, alto clutches and steels, aluminum pressure plate and BDL 2" belt drive. Im also using a mousetrap eliminator.

After proper clutch adjustment I do the usual - pull the clutch lever and spin the clutch with the other hand. At times the clutch spins freely for a few revolutions. At other times, it drags and feels as if there is a tight spot....or, is almost impossible to spin with one hand.

Ive been noticing that finding neutral and upshifts is getting more difficult as everything warms up.

Could this be a symptom of an improper belt adjustment situation?

I cant understand why, when I pull in the clutch and try to spin it with one hand, its tight for a revolution and then easier to spin with others????

This has me boggled.

Belt is adjusted with about 1/2" deflection when cold.

Got any answers for me?
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Clutch Adjustment problem

Post by lockdoc »

I would try adjusting the belt. I was told 3\4" open primary, 1" closed primary. Measured from center top of belt. Mine shifted much better after I loosened mine. The belt and pulleys expand when hot.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I agree, belt is probably a little tight. I was told that when the belt is properly adjusted, you should be able to rotate the belt 90 degrees at midpoint between sprockets.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Either remove the belt altogether, or move the tranny as far forward as you can, so as to make sure the belt adjustment is not a contributing factor when the clutch adjustment is made. I run my belt so loose it scares me, but it's been workin like that for over 30 years. Get rid of the 5 stud unit and go back to a 3 stud hub if possible, preferably an original H-D piece. You're not runnin a mousetrap, so that eliminates some headaches. Adjust by the book and you should be O.K. if the rest of the clutch set-up is within service specs....bosheff
OckMock
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 panhead chopper

Post by OckMock »

OK..tackled it all this morning....

Loosened the belt til it had about 3/4"-1" deflection when cold.

Then, spun the clutch with one one hand with clutch lever engaged...still a heavy drag and tight spots. So, I pulled the clutch and checked plates. Outer clutch plate seems like it had tight spots when running up and down the clutch fingers. So, I replaced it with another good clutch plate that rides a tad looser on the fingers. Bolted everything up and retightened clutch spring nuts to spec. Then tried it again....NO DRAG!!!!

I also realized I had my clutch cable/mousetrap eliminator adjustment wrong. I didnt have enough freeplay in the cable, thus causing pre-load on the throw-out bearing.

Took it for a spin around the corner...shifted pertect, no clunk into 1st, found neutral OK and easy upshifts.

Hope this did it for good.

If'n when I can afford it, Im abandoning this old clutch setup with a Primo...Im tired of fuckin with this.
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

I went with a diaphragm type clutch setup like the one below. I am sooo happy with it. No more jerking at lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KEVLAR-C ... ccessories
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

lockdoc wrote:I went with a diaphragm type clutch setup like the one below. I am sooo happy with it. No more jerking at lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KEVLAR-C ... ccessories
Man, that looks like the deal, right there...!
I'm running the 5-finger hub, aluminum pressure plate, all new plates- both steels and friction. It's smooooth....

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”