Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Clutch hub

Post by Bigincher »

StueyC wrote:Bigincher, it sounds from your description that the stock retainer sits against the cage to stop it walking out. The plastic one I have has a lip that holds the edge of the clutch shell bearing race so it not only would stop the rollers from walking out but also holds the hub and shell together as a unit. With the stock retainer fitted is it possible to lift the clutch shell off the clutch hub?
Yes it is. And that's why I chose to use the stock retainer. If I break a belt in Bumfuk Egypt, it's a lot simpler to remove the clutch shell, install a new belt on the front belt sprocket, and 'work' the shell back on the hub and the new belt in the same motion. If the belt has the proper amount of tension (a little bit slack), this is possible.
Now, if the shell and hub become 'married' into one unit by the use of the retainer you describe, suddenly a 20-minute roadside repair becomes a two-hour pain-in-the-ass. Who carries a clutch hub puller??
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The A,B and C holes in the plastic retainer are made for a three finger clutch hub, if you could finger out which depth would be best you could countersink five holes at that height, (or three).Or don't even use the c-clips. I think the plastic disc is called The Tamer...Mike
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

this.....

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Hi Mbskream, measured my hub and shell. I'm getting 1.250" on the shell and 1.235" for the hub which is from the end to the flange but the 1.235" is reduced by the thickness of the cork washer ( 0.116")? I'm thinking the only way I'm going to get this retianer to fit is to machine the outer lip off so it can recess into the clutch shell. This will retain the roller but the shell with then be able to float on the hub. Will this be OK?

StueyC
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

My shell 'floats' on the hub. Until the clutch is installed. :lol:
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Post by Panhead Joey »

Pulled my clutch hub out today and all the long roller bearings completely fell out. Not sure if that was normal and should not the roller bearings stay in tack when pulling out the clutch hub? I notice the plate that sits on top of the clutch hub in my clymers manual they call it a hub bearing plate was upside down. My intuition tells me that the plate looks like it was installed incorrectly & that's why the long roller bearings fell out right? I have added some photos to show how the plate was installed is the reason why was having clutch issues?

Thanks Joey
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Sorry tried adding the photos and not sure why they were not uploading I can email the photos if need so.

Joey
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The long rollers fell out because they are not factory parts but are aftermarket "big fix" rollers. They are quite common on custom builds. They do not have a retainer of any sort and are held in place by grease during the assembly process.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Hey Rubone,

Ok, I would have to assemble each individual roller bearing completely around the hub and what kind of grease would you recommend for this process? Should I apply a layer of grease around the hub itself or dip each long roller bearing in grease or both and not too much grease just enough untill it sticks?

Thank you,

Joey
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Regular multi-purpose bearing grease is fine, Joey. You can use the same grease when you re-pack the wheel hub bearings.
If you put a good coating of grease on the inside of the shell and the outside of the hub, you shouldn't have to coat the rollers too. You want adequate grease, but not so much that the excess gets slung off all over everywhere. "Just enough", as you said. (You should have the bike sitting level, if it's on the jiffy stand the shell will keep sliding off.)

You keep mentioning the Clymers manual, but you will serve yourself well to pick up a Harley service manual- after all, you're working on a Harley not a Clymer, right? I thought we had that conversation already...
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Great Bigincher it seems so easy I can do this thanks to guys like you! Yep, it was easy with the Clymers manual because I have it right next to me when I'm working close to the bike. I have the Harley service manual but it is downloaded onto my iPad no excuse I can look at my iPad too. :)

Joey
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

You might get a little grease on your iPad......
I understand how it is to watch the dollars. When I was a young buck, there were things I did not buy because I would rather spend that money on gasoline, or a few quarts of oil- you know, 'necessities'. Eventually you'll get a hard copy of the manual, and you'll wonder why you waited so long...

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”