Clutch hub

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Clutch hub

Post by StueyC »

I have a new 5 finger clutch hub and when fitted into my Primo belt drive clutch shell it doesn't have enough height to allow the retainer to be fitted correctly i.e. I can't fit the retainer clips because the grooves in the fingers don't protrute past the outside of the retainer. I'm not talking a little bit, the difference is around 0.100". I have checked the new clutch hub against my old one and it is the same height. Is anyone else running a Primo belt drive that encountered the same problem and how did you get around it?

StueyC
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Clutch hub

Post by steinauge »

Never had that problem with a Primo but I have with other aftermarket hubs.I used the sheet metal stock retainer instead of the one supplied with the hubs and that gave sufficient clearance.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I just last month installed a 5-finger clutch hub on my old pan, has had the Primo belt drive on there since 1975. I used the stock roller cage, and had no problem with the retainer clips.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

When I stripped the clutch it had the plastic type retainer fitted which was a bit damaged and I tend to recall it had no clips holding it in place. Obviously the previous owner had the same problem I have. I am fitting a full set of uncaged rollers but that should make no difference. Is the original steel type retainer a different shape from the plastic ones? I do not have one to check and don't want to order one in only to find I have the same problem.

Thanks.
StueyC
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I guess I don't understand the question, Stuey, ...."plastic retainer"? My 5-finger hub is from CCI, came with the long rollers and I think just a small gray flat plastic retainer. Is that what you mean? I took the OEM roller cage off the old hub and used it on the new hub. I decided against the long rollers, as a roadside repair of a broken belt would be much simpler if I don't have to mess with all those rollers.
I can go through my box of clutch parts and try to give you an answer, if you'd like.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Hi Bigincher, the retainer I have is black plastic and shown in the Vtwin catalogue as P/N 18-3116. It has a number of counterbored holes of different depths to allow the circlips to be fitted in the best fitting postion. I have one fitted to my shovel which has a BDL belt drive fitted and I had no problems. The only thing I can think of is the depth of the Primo shell is a little deeper than a stock shell and possibly Primo make a retainer to suit although I can't find anny details on their web site. If someone has a stock clutch shell and they could measure from the back thrust face to the inside face then I can determine if there is a difference.

Thanks.
StueyC
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

5 stud hub from flange to top of hub...1.235
stock clutch drum...1.255 OD to OD
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks alot Mbskeam. I will measure as soon as I get home tonight and let you know what I find.

StueyC
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I have the Primo clutch shell, the stock retainer, and stock clips. CCI 5-finger hub. No problems. The clutch shell is 34 years old, I don't know if they were ever changed--- I don't see why they would.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks Bigincher. Is the stock retainer dimensionally the same as the plastic aftermarket ones?

StueyC
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I looked in my Vtwin catalog (yes, I actually have one), and I can say I've never had one of those aftermarket retainers in my hands. I can tell you that the stock retainer fits flat on the hub, and has a rolled edge that captures the roller cage. I can see that anything taller than that would cause trouble engaging the retainer spring clips. Perhaps all you need is a stock-style retainer, or "clutch hub bearing plate" as it's called in the HD Spare Parts Catalog (HD #37576-41).
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Bigincher, it sounds from your description that the stock retainer sits against the cage to stop it walking out. The plastic one I have has a lip that holds the edge of the clutch shell bearing race so it not only would stop the rollers from walking out but also holds the hub and shell together as a unit. With the stock retainer fitted is it possible to lift the clutch shell off the clutch hub?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Stuey, put an extra steel in before the first friction disk...Mike
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Hi Mike, are you saying to leave the retainer out and add the extra plate? What will this achieve?

Thanks.
StueyC
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

StueyC wrote:I have a new 5 finger clutch hub and when fitted into my Primo belt drive clutch shell it doesn't have enough height to allow the retainer to be fitted correctly i.e. I can't fit the retainer clips because the grooves in the fingers don't protrute past the outside of the retainer. I'm not talking a little bit, the difference is around 0.100". I have checked the new clutch hub against my old one and it is the same height. Is anyone else running a Primo belt drive that encountered the same problem and how did you get around it?

StueyC
May or may not help, but when I went to the long rollers on my three finger hub the long rollers hit the clutch hub friction plate and the retainer (same one you're using) wouldn't fit on. Ended up having to use a Nylotron (sp?) free floating fricton plate on the hub that I trimmed slightly on the ID to clear the rollers. Still had to use the "A" holes in the retainer, but it worked just fine...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”