1959 clutch: I want to get better performance

59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

1959 clutch: I want to get better performance

Post by 59Panman »

I have a 3 finger stock clutch with a belt drive primary on my 59 pan. I want to get better performance out of the stock clutch arrangement. I have read quite a few things on the do's and don'ts of stock clutch with a belt primary. I think I will stay with the 3 finger and put a ram jet retainer $16.00 and a free floating nylatron ring $ 16.00. I also heard about drilling out each disk slightly larger so that they slide easily. Or should I just spend the bucks on a Rivera.
Any concerns or comments with this setup.
Thanks for any input.

ozwick
sleeper

Re: 1959 clutch

Post by sleeper »

ozwick-
I like & use ram-jett retainers!! & the nylatron liners are both good pieces. Any clutches should always slip Easily back & forth on the studs. I have never had to drill clutch discs. I have had to TAP into alignment a stud, to achieve this. But it's up to you.
I like & use Barnett clutches.
Riveria makes nice packages, though.. It's your money..
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks Billy,

What comments would you have with the Big Fix bearing assembly? I read that this could cause heat buildup on a primary with a belt? Should I just stay with the stock setup all the way and just start with the ram jet and nylatron.

Thanks,

ozwick
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

ozwick, I'm interested to hear the other guys imput on this. I just installed the big fix assembly on my 53, I had to file down the nylon retainer and the stock steel retainer but went together very smooth. I've got about 500 mi. on it and no problems yet. Ed
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

ozwick-
Try that & see how you like it.. While you have it apart, clean the bearings/cage & hub, check the hub & shell for grooves/wear. If it's very bad, "Big Fix it", & then 'lightly' put some grease on the rollers & lightly on the hub/shell, supplied w/kit.
If stock is OK, Disc Brake grease the rollers & they will stay in place in the cage for re-assembly.......Not too heavy on the grease.. ;D
Also, I have not had any problems with extra heat & belt drives w/Big- Fix: Provided your belt is not too tight for Bix-Fix or any set-up you use...!!!
Big Fix was intended for wore out hubs, to get more life out of them. But they are fine in most any set-up, IMHO

FastED-
I'm not sure what all the filing is about ???

(1) you don't use the steel retainer w/the kit. Use their's

(2) the only thing you must make sure there is clearance for, is that the rollers bottom out on the hub. if the hub-liner is in the way. The hub-liner disc-I.D. must be enlarged to seat the rollers FULLY bottomed against the hub!! Important !!
These 2 things should be in the paperwork..
55PAN
Bikes: 1982 FLHC

Post by 55PAN »

Hey Billy...
I have a '55 FL with the "Big Fix" rollers in it and it has a Primo 1 1/2" belt drive and it runs great but I got the bike with the belt drive already installed so I was wondering what the measurement for the adjustment of the belt drive should be? Also would this measurement be for when it's cold? Also how long is the belt expected to last?
Bruce
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks Billy!

As for the belt play, I understand that the belt should have 5/8" in either direction from neutral position at the center, is this correct Billy?

Thanks for all the help.

Mark
57JOHND
Inactive member

Post by 57JOHND »

Ozwick,
Currently in process of installing a Primo on mine, and per the sheet they provide, adjustment is as follows:
Free play is determined at top, center of belt, COLD drivetrain (they are very specific about the cold part as the claim is drive pulleys expand with heat and change tension substantially). Open systems are aprox. 3/4 inch and enclosed systems are full 1 inch. Use "about" 10 lbs force. They also go on to say they recommend venting enclosed systems to allow cool air to circulate and minimize heat expansion,and extend belt life.
Hope this helps
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

ozwick and Billy, Sorry guys I got messed up on my parts. I installed a Primo clutch hub bearing kit (roll of bearings all the way around the hub). On this system you use the stock steel retainer and install it backwards with the nylon spacer between the bearings and the the steel piece. The reason I filed the steel retainer was because I used a spare that I had laying around and it was a little rough around the edges. Ed

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”