Eliminate mousetrap

Bill

Eliminate mousetrap

Post by Bill »

I have a 56 Panhead that I eliminated the mousetrap. Problem is I can't get enough travel on my transmission rod to disengage the clutch. Without the mousetrap it only moves about 1/2 inch. The clutch lever bottoms out against the handgrip before the transmission rod can move far enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hd74

Re: Eliminate mousetrap

Post by hd74 »

Bill:
So what you are saying is you have installed a "moustrap eliminator"? Have you looked at the adjustments that need to be done when you install the kit (cable, clutch rod adjustments)?

hd74
Bill

Post by Bill »

I didn't use an eliminator kit. I bought the bracket and clutch cable seperate. The clutch arm that goes over top of the transmission is stock. I should use a shorter arm because the cable is not straight back. It is on an angle. But the clutch rod inside the tranny is stock. I can use the adjuster in the hub to make any adlustment to length.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

If I remember well you need a different clutch arm
Bill

Post by Bill »

I can put a shorter clutch arm on and my cable will be straight but that still won't give me any mor travel in the arm. I need the arm to move about 2 inches or more before the clutch is diengaged. It's only moving about 1/2 to 1 inch now. The clutch is still engaged even with the lever pulled all the way in.
kell

Post by kell »

Actually, putting a shorter clutch arm is going to give you more travel in the transmission rod. For the same clutch cable travel. You're moving a lever. If you pull the end of an 8 inch lever one inch (for example) and then pull the end of a 4 inch lever one inch, the 4 inch lever will move more. Panhead is right. Get yourself a shorter clutch arm.
I had no trouble with my 52 FL back when it still had a foot shift, and a clutch lever with the cable connected to a short arm. The bike also had a bracket on the frame right under the oil tank where the cable housing butted in and the cable ran the last few inches to the arm.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Ok, thanks guys. I'll get a shorter clutch arm. I saw in J&P that they have one that is used for mousetrap elimination. It's nice to know there are still plenty of panhead riders out there. I also ride a 97 FLHTCI when I want to give my old right leg a rest. Later.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”