aluminum pressure plate

56pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH
1997 FLHTCI

aluminum pressure plate

Post by 56pan »

Hello all,
I just installed an aluminum pressure plate on my '56. I know the distance betwee the stock pressure plate and spring collar is 31/32 but what about the distance between the aluminum plate and spring collar? Or is it trial and error? Thanks.

Bill
keiser

Re: aluminum pressure plate

Post by keiser »

Set the spring height the same on all of them and about as close as you can get to the stock setup. Make sure the tranny is in neutral. Pull in the clutch and check to make sure you can spin the clutch by hand. Now tighten each of the 3 (or 5) nuts until the clutch disengages evenly. Most will pull down more on one stud than another. You may need to tighten one nut down several clicks while the others need nothing to get it to disengage evenly. Once the clutch engages evenly and you can still spin it, keep adjusting all nuts one click at a time and check for spin. When you have adjusted the nuts down to the point the clutch cannot be turned by hand, you need to back off slightly. Take the bike for a ride and make sure that when hot, the clutch is not draging enough to try and pull the bike through the intersection. If it is, you need to back off the nuts another click or two. Don't get it too lose or it will spin when power is applied. Too tight and it is a pain in the ass at the stop sign.

The book is for an ideal world. I use it to get me close then use the above procedure to fine tune it.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I set one up a while back and as I recall I wound up with 3/4" instead of the 31/32" with the stock setup. If the clutch holds for kickstarting, it should hold for driveing....Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

If needed, I can see what mine is. It is only three screws to see.It will still be only a starting point , cause most bikes are different from one clutch type to another. I assume you are using the stock type spring retainer?
56pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH
1997 FLHTCI

Post by 56pan »

Thanks for the replies, guys. fourthgear, I am using stock spring plate. I would appriciate if you would measure yours. How come you only have 3 screws on your derby cover?
Bill

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”