Mousetrap/clutch ideas

haggis
Bikes: *

Mousetrap/clutch ideas

Post by haggis »

Hi guys,
will be ready to hook up the tranny to my 50 in a month or so,..(not worried about keeping things original as its a 70's style chopper). Will be using a mousetrap,,,was wondering if anyone had any comments/recomendations on a clutch to use. (running enclosed chain primary).
thanks ,Haggis.(Sy)
56 pan

Re: Mousetrap/clutch ideas

Post by 56 pan »

You can only use a stock type clutch with a mousetrap,because of the throw on the pushrod.
If you want to upgrade to a diaphram clutch,you have to change to a mousetrap eliminator system.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

thanks for the info 56pan,I need all the info I can get as this is my first pan...waited 30 years to get it.!
Saw in V twin book some clutch fix plates,for "grabby, lurching clutches". Was this a major problem for the original setup?Would this work if I'm using a mousetrap?
Thanks again for the help. Haggis.
panhead5174

Post by panhead5174 »

I use a superMax belt drive stock plates and a custom cover on the outside-never a problem----and if you ever snap a cable, its nice to be able to reach down and pull that mouse trap back.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

haggis:
I have been using a barnet dry clutch with a mousetrap eliminator for years. Never have had a problem with it.

hd74
toolscum

Post by toolscum »

I have a 5 finger basket instead of 3. I had metal clutch plates with O-rings on the ears. Some O-rings fell off & it rattled. Got stock type metal plates with the little bends on the ends of the ears & they work well. I run the mousetrap and like the positive action. -Kirk

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”