Clutch springs

haggis
Bikes: *

Clutch springs

Post by haggis »

Hi Guys,
Is it ok to replace the short fat clutch springs on the pressure plate with the later long and skinny Shovel type?...........or will this be a beeatch!
Thanks, Haggis
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Clutch springs

Post by dirtydistrict »

Well, for me short fat are used with 3 plates and half "police" clutch, the shovel type springs are for 5 plates type clutch, i don't see the advantage to go for shovel springs unless you've got a full basket of 'em...
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

haggis.....why not a diaphragm clutch pack? Easier to release, stronger holding power, easy to adjust and it distributes the pressure over the clutches equally.

Kurt
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Dirty D,
I'm trying to install the full "police" clutch pack. 4 steels and 5 fibers.Trouble is there is not enough room for the spring disc, Can I leave the thing out and run a fiber instead?That would be the last disc in series which would be against the pressure plate.The initial spring spacing for the short springs is 31/32, whats the spacing for the long springs?....or do I just play around with it?
Kurt from 45parts, I'm using a mouse trap and want to keep it....didn't think a diaphram clutch would work with it....will it? Thanks guys , Haggis
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Well, forget about spring spacing, the most important is to have equal pressure on each spring, tight it until it doesn't slide anymore
Kurt
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

I just spoke with the manufacturer and he said it would probably work and fit correctly if you ran 3 of the thinner disks. But he wasn't 100% sure. The Diaphragm clutch pack I have is thinner and machined a little different than the original ones made years ago to clear the inside if the tin primaries better.
If you want to give it a try, e-mail me and we'll work something out. I would be curious to find out for sure.

info@45partsdepot.com

Kurt
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Kurt,

Does your diaphragm clutch also work with a belt drive?
Kurt
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Yes....I sell the Primo belt drive for the Big Twin and have had no input good or bad with this setup. So I guess it works fine.

Kurt
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Haggis----There is no benefit using shovel-springs!--I run a disc. short & a 1/2-plate.I use stock Panhead springs & NEVER any issues!.Remember the 31/32 is a good STARTING REFERENCE!.--If it slips when kicking JUST tighten each one a full turn until no slippage!.Once its set & the Freeplay with the cable is set--Start bike & watch the BASKET!--If its wobbly & most likely will be.-Stop motor & pull plugs & spin it over & watch which ones need TIGHTENING!-To take the wobble out!.-You don't want to loosen as it will most likely SLIP upon Kickstarting!.Adj. like this for MIN. wobble!-& You should have a EASY squeeze on the clutch & no slippage cold or hot!--(IF the basket MOVES in & out--YOU need to RELACE the ROLLERS & CAGE!.BASKET should not move!--This gives you a GRABBY clutch!--Some use TAMERS,-But I never have.A tamer is a Bandaid for a more serious problem-Like worn Basket & hub.The FACTORY NEVER used them!/As long as the BASKET runs TRUE & cannot be pulled in & out by hand-ENJOY your bike!.I know of ALOT of people that SWEAR by TAMERS--& IF it works for you,-HEY if it gets you home DO IT!--BUT FIX what is really wrong when you get the chance.----Respectfully----RICHIE

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”