Clutch assembly simplicity

The center nut that holds it all together had backed completely out.

Rainjester

Clutch assembly simplicity

Post by Rainjester »

I was riding along and suddenly my clutch wasn't working. Turns out that the center nut that holds it all together had backed completely out. The tabs for the washer behind the nut hadn't been bent to hold the nut on thus the whole assembly dropping out of place. The last guy who I got the bike from missed that step.
At first I didn't know what was going on and thought it was something major. After disassembly and finding out what had happened, cleaning everything off, installing new fiber plates (my neighbor had a set collecting dust!), then doing all the final adjustments, I realized how simple it was to swap out and adjust the clutch!
I'd never done this before and I have to say, just about anybody can do this. The toughest part for me was getting the springs back in place to get the 3 adjustment nuts back in place. Of course, I could have used a big washer to keep it all in place to make it easier as described in the harley manual.
I guess the point of this post is: Do your own work, it's not as hard as it seems. You save money and spend more time riding your bike.

jester-
sleeper

Re: Clutch assembly simplicity

Post by sleeper »

Very Cool Jester...
You know a chevy V8 valve spring collar works great. Or find & keep a proper sized washer in your box. Paint it. It's a tool, for a specific job...
The right sized collar/washer makes this clutch set-up a pit-stop, repair. ;) As you found out..
I spray paint most all my tools "chevy Orange". Easy to spot on the floor hiding from you. Not the whole tool just part of it. Orange is for anything in inches & custom-made. Test plate, Clutch tool. etc... Blah! Blah!
Blue is for Metric. Keeps my boxes more organized.. Easy ID ;) too.
Same with screwdrivers straight slot =Orange
Phillips head= Blue
You'd be surprised how much faster you can grab tools..

The 'ol lady wishes I was as organized "in the house"
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Re: Clutch assembly simplicity

Post by dereborn »

You go Jester! It's a grrrreat feeling when you've "done it yerself" ain't it? I think this is one of the things that separates us from the Amex-bikers.... They just have their bike towed to the nearest shop, and wait for the call saying it's fixed.

Their loss!

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”