Clutch rusting up: wondering if this happens to anybody else

mbskeam
Bikes: *

Clutch rusting up: wondering if this happens to anybody else

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
how many of you that live in the damper states have there clutch plates rust to the steels?
If I let it sit over the winter months they stick together.
some times I get them to break free by riding it, other times I have to pop it apart by removing the clutch pack, it comes out as one piece, untill I pry them apart with a screwdriver. not much of a problem if it gets ridden. I am just wondering if this happens to any body else.
mbskeam

welcome to damp ol wash state
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Re: Clutch rusting up

Post by 108 »

Mbskeam, It can get plenty damp here in Indiana and mine did that but not that bad. I think it was due to the metal shreds in the clutch plate compound sticking to the steels I've changed plates since then (for another reason) which just happened to be solid material and it's never done it again. And I would guess this would be more likely to occur if your Pan were stored in an unheated area ?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello
I just dont under stand why the womon wont let it sleep in the house. ;)
mbskeam

It's in the un heated garage.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Probably the same reason my woman won't let me wash parts in the 'Dishwasher' ?? Go Figure.. ::)
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

We have a pretty damp climate here in Scotland, so get the same rust problems. One of the worst things you can do if you lay your bike up for the winter is to fire it up and let it run for a few minutes. That big motor generates loads of condensation as it starts to warm up. If you want to frighten yourself, give it a try and then pull off your outer primary. You will find about half a cupfull of water sloshing about in there. You will get the same problem if you run your bike in winter but only cover short distances so the motor never warms up fully. Along with the rust problems in the primary, the oil in your motor and oil tank will turn into an emulsified sludge due to water contamination. While my bike is idle during winter, every now and again I like to just turn the motor over several times using the kickstart. This keeps all the moving parts turning freely, and the air moving through the carb will help keep the jets and passages clear. Take the battery out, keep it somewhere warm, but well ventilated and charge it once a month. Come spring, she should fire straight up.
This is all common sense stuf which most of you will be familiar with, but it may help some of the guys just starting out.
kell

Post by kell »

I run an open belt, no cover over the clutch. If the clutch gets rained on it can stick together just from sitting overnight. When I had to park it on the street I would wrap a plastic deli bag around the clutch in drizzly weather. In dry weather it can sit a week or two without sticking. The problem was pretty bad the first few months I had the bike. I used to strap the suicide pedal down just enough to relieve the pressure on the clutch while compressing the springs minimally. That helps quite a bit.
I have Barnett plates, and I hear they tend to stick. As the fiber plates age the stickiness seems to have alleviated somewhat, but the problem didn't go away. Also, having enough oil in the transmission that a few drops will ooze down the clutch compressing rod and onto the plates may have helped.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Hey Kell,
I have barnett plates too. Since new, my clutch has always been sticky, and I have been playing around with the adjusting nuts trying to let it slip a little more. I've backed them off as far as I can and it still drags like hell, which is a bitch when pulling it into first. I also gotta grab some brake at stop lights. Does anyone have a suggestion? 250 miles only so far, doesn't seem to be getting any better, and I don't think I can keep this up until they wear down.
I will add that my shop is heated, and the weather has been OK.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Panfreak,

Are your disks sticking or do you think you just aren't getting a good release. I used to have troubles with my belt drive clutch basket "walking" outward when I pulled in the clutch and making things drag. Checked the transmission alignment and all but never made it better. Finally I replaced the metal clutch discs with discs that did not have the "buffers" on them. The clutch release great now, but make a lot of noise (typical of dry clutch w/o buffers). I read recently that Ram Jett makes a clutch basket retainer that helps solve the problem. I might get around to trying that next with the buffered discs to get things quieted down.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

You might be onto something... I have backed off the adjustment so far that it may be likely the cause is the basket walking out and not releasing as you described. I checked alignment like you did too. I have heard of the ram jet retainer but would like to know more if anyone has one in use? Thanks for your input.
CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr »

Installed a "clutch tamer" on my '59 and it cured the problem. I spray my steel and friction plates with WD-40 when installing and any time they are sticking. I run a Primo open belt with buffers on the steel plates. PITA setting up the spacers for the "tamer" but well worth the effort when done right. Have also installed on 2 shovels and cured problem clutches on both. I think the Ram Jet retainer is the same type setup.
kell

Post by kell »

I have the Ram Jett (spelling?) on mine. Never had it any other way, so I can't make a comparison. But when I need to adjust the clutch I can get it where I want it and it works. I don't use the spring retainer nuts to adjust it, I use the screw in the center, forget what it's called.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I think the Ram Jett retainer is $16.99 from J&P. Worth a try for that amount of money. It says it's for 3 finger clutch baskets only. Mine is a 5 finger basket, but I found instructions for modifying it to work with a 5 finger setup.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I have had the ramjet in mine since 94, and it works well to keep the basket in place. Before it would walk in and out making for a draging clutch when siting at lights and hard shifting. At the time they only made 3 stud type so it had to be reworked into a 5 finger, I think they make this now.The steels have the buffers on them.

Panfreak........
Is your presure plate flat, mine had about 1/8 warp to it before I replaced it with a alum. one. I do think this also had some effect on how the clutch worked.

mbskeam
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Pressure plate is flat. Plates don't bind on the fingers.... after listening to you guys, I'm sure I need a ram jett. And I thought the hard shifting was just me! Thanks again for the input.
countershaft

Post by countershaft »

Hey Panfreak
Sounds like yer stickin clutch might be more than rust,first id check springs make sure they are even,ive found just adjusting isnt good enough mash the clutch many times while adjustin to get everything aligned i do this and it seems to help. But Ill bet its more like gummy oil on plates seal on clutch rod might be shot just a thought.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”